What is Report MinimumAnalysisInterval? (Client Setting)

I’m not completely clear what this client setting does:

_BESClient_Report_MinimumAnalysisInterval

It is missing from the Configuration Settings page.

Here are some references to it, which mention it affecting the ClientUI, but do not explain what else it affects and why.

http://bigfix.me/fixlet/details/228
MinimumAnalysisInterval with v9 clients using offers
Besclient using high cpu
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21506050

This sounds like a job for @AlanM!

1 Like

My understanding is that this is the setting that controls how often clients will refresh and send a report of analysis properties. Therefore, reducing the amount of time spent on updating analysis relevance is better spent doing other things, hence the suggestion to increase the timings up to 300 seconds.

Certainly the bug fix of an early version, 7.x where it was set to 5 seconds (probably during testing and never increased) and was raised to 30 seconds seems to validate the idea to increase this to a level much higher than the current default of 60 seconds, just to give any older/slower machines in the environment a bit more time to…breathe…

1 Like

I thought that was what it was likely for, but the references to it seem to talk about the speed at which the ClientUI is updated with progress, which seems completely different, but might involve analysis properties.

If it does affect the minimum reporting of analysis properties, then this is definitely something I’d like to increase to something like 300 seconds, but then I worry what are the consequences of doing so?

This is probably also something that I would add to my clientsettings.cfg:

The setting _BESClient_Report_MinimumAnalysisInterval actually is what it sounds like.

When a report is being generated, the report logic checks to see if this minimum time has elapsed before it processes all the analyses. If this minimum time has not elapsed then they are not checked. This means you may get some reports without analyses results if reports start occurring quickly (like in action processing)

_BESClient_Report_MinimumAnalysisInterval
Type: Numeric 
Version: 7.0 , changes in 7.2
Platform: All 
MinNumeric: 5, min changed from 0 in 7.2 
MaxNumeric: 3600 
Default: 60, default changed from 5 in 7.2 
Requires Client Restart: NO 
Description: Delay running any action analysis more often than this
1 Like

And this is in seconds? (I assume)

What are potential negative consequences of making this every 5min (300 seconds) or every 15min?

Seconds yes. And it will just slow down analysis results so it depends on how regular you need them

1 Like

I would say the “freshest” we expect analysis results to be at the maximum is within the last hour, which makes me think that 15min to 30min would be acceptable, but some of the references to that setting mention the ClientUI showing progress updates. I guess what I am asking is, will increasing this value cause something that depends on the analysis properties issues, and I don’t mean from a user checking the value, I mean something more automated that uses the analysis results as an input in some way.

The logic that checks this setting is very specific to the Report logic so I doubt this would change the ClientUI behaviour. That being said if something depended on an an analysis result somewhere ( which is usually only on the server end ) then its behaviour will be slowed as well.

Where were the references you mention?

the BES Client Setting: Client UI Minimum Analysis Interval task in the BES Support Site. The forum post MinimumAnalysisInterval with v9 clients using offers and the forum post Besclient using high cpu.

None of these references mention this client setting having an effect on the speed at which Analysis Properties are reported at all, and only mention their effect on CPU usage of the client, as well as their effect on the Client UI.

The BES Client's Minimum Analysis Interval setting controls how frequently the BES Client evaluates action progress information and updates the BES Client UI with new information.  Raising the Minimum Analysis Interval will cause the BES Client UI progress information to update slower but will allow the BES Client to report information on Fixlets, Properties and Actions to the BES Console faster.

This leads me to believe that this setting could be increased to 15min with no ill effects, unless there are offers, or other info being used in the Client UI that depend on this value, in which case it should be lower. I think this is likely due to the Client UI using Session Relevance, which would be one of the few things effected by the analysis results reporting interval.

Let me check the code. There used to be some items that were in this code that would affect the Client UI in older releases. Its possible that we have some still so I’ll check

1 Like

Hi Stew, I have a quick question here. Can you please shed some light on below 2 settings, I think they are conflicting with each other?

_BESClient_Resource_AccelerateForPendingMessage=1

_BESClient_Query_SleepTime=500

These should not conflict. Why do you think they are conflicting? Is there an issue you are having that you think is due to them?