SOLVED: Logging into IEM 92. console HTTP Error 28: Timeout was reached

When I login to the IEM console on IEM 9.2 I get the error
message: HTTP Error 28: Timeout was reached. Connection timed out after
10000 milliseconds.
IEM is installed on a RHEL 6.6 and the console is on a Windows 8.1 64 bit machine.

1 Like

I actually get the same error if the hostname for my IEM server is incorrect but the hostname does exist.

Is it possible the DNS entry youā€™re using to point to your IEM server isnā€™t pointing to the right IP or that youā€™re not using the right DNS entry?

It is possible that everything is fine, just that the 10 second time out is too short.

This will change the timeout to 120 seconds:

http://bigfix.me/fixlet/details/3959

If this works, then you might want to decrease it to something that still works but is closer to 10 seconds.

If increasing the timeout does not work, then as @strawgate states, there is probably an issue elsewhere.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. IEM is installed on a laptop running RHEL 6.6. There is no DNS entry or AD. This is a home network where I am connecting to the IEM server via a Windows 8.1 system running the IEM console. The console never completes loading so I would not be able to add the task.

You may need to check firewall settings on RHEL to allow incoming TCP 52311.

See here: Firewall fix when setting up CentOS / RHEL / Fedora relay

You can change the client settings on RHEL by editing a file and restarting.

So can the Console machine actually even ping the address of the server? If it canā€™t youā€™re going to have to add a hosts entry

2 Likes

Are you connecting to the Root using the local IP address in the console?

Thanks JGSTEW. Your suggestion worked. The command line settings for the firewall were not registering. However, I used the graphical interface to allow port 52311 on TCP and UDP and it works now. I could not find the firewall-cmd command. I am running RHEL 6.6.

Anyways, thanks to all of you IEM console is running now!

2 Likes

I think on RHEL 6 you donā€™t need the firewall-cmd command, just the IPTABLES commands.

Do you have any idea how to solve ā€œError 28 - Timeoutā€ issues between replication servers:

Fri, 08 Apr 2016 12:04:58 +0200 ā€“ 1444 ā€“ Replication failed for server ā€˜TEM-DSAā€™: HTTP Error 28: Timeout was reached: Operation timed out after 10000 milliseconds with 0 out of 0 bytes received

The master BigFix server TEM is configured to replicate with the TEM-DSA server - Both servers is located at the internal network in a non AD enviroment. Both servers is running Windows server 2012 R2 with MS SQL server 2014.

Even the SQL servers is located at the same servers as the BigFix-servers, I have configured the connection to the SQL servers in accordance with the BigFix Remote database guide, (https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Remote%20Database%20Guide) where they use SQL Authentification.

Why not just set all Windows systems to 120 sec? What is taking place that needs to be closer to 10 sec?

Iā€™m not really sure what else that timeout may affect on normal client systems, but 120 seconds seems long for a timeout. If this were to affect the relay selection process, which Iā€™m not sure that it does, then I would want the timeout to be closer to 10 seconds than to 120 seconds.

Iā€™m not sure why I would set the timeout to be 120 seconds on all endpoints if there is no need to do so, but it might not cause harm either.

This is a question for @AlanM as far as what the negative consequences of setting _BESData_Comm_TimeoutSeconds may be.

jgstew, Thank you for your response, more to think about and test!
Frank

1 Like