Report Available: Fixlet Compliance by Computer Group

(imported comment written by cstoneba)

see attachment. I selected 4 baselines from the Content dropdown, but only 1 of those (the win2012 baseline) shows in the compliance section. Additionally, the fixlet columns results on the right (applicable fixlets, installed fixlets, outstanding fixlets) would have never ran on the win2012 baseline because the 3 endpoints are WIn2008 (which was a baseline I did also select from the dropdown).

hopefully that is more clear.

(imported comment written by Lee Wei)

From what I am seeing, the report is working correctly, but did not label the grid correctly. It is just picking up the name of the multiple selected options. It would be better to say something like “Multiple content groups selected”.

I see in your picture that there are some stray text at the top of the report that says “Fixlet Compliance by Computer Group…”.

That is due to importing the .besrpt file as HTML. It should be imported as XML.

Lee Wei

Hi lee, what’s the difference between the “Applicable Fixlets” column and the “Outstanding Fixlets” column? I think that’s the cause of my confusion.

(Applicable = Installed + Outstanding).

A Mac OS X patch for example, will not be applicable to Windows systems.

So there is a checkbox to “Hide Computers with 0 Applicable Fixlets”. The idea is that if I were to look at Patches for Mac OS X, I don’t want to see computers that are not Mac.

Lee Wei

hi Lee, is there a way for you to contact me directly so we can work through this?

Hi Chris,

My personal email is leewei at leewei dot com.

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by dmoore21)

Lee,

For some reason, I cannot see any of the pie charts or tables on the report when I generate the results in Firefox… Any suggestions?

Maybe a screenshot might help me see the problem that you are encountering.

If you are using FireFox, there is a menu Tools --> Web Developer --> Web Console

that will show any errors from the report. That might give us more information about the problem.

Lee Wei

Lee,

Another question for you…

Is it possible to expand the number of results that are displayed (and exported) by this report?

On line 39 of this file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\BESReportsServer\wwwroot\ext-3.2.0\fixlet_compliance.js

var diplayedRelevantFixlets = 1000;

I believe you can change the “displayRelevantFixlets” variable to a higher number than the current limit of 1000.

My idea was to use the report as a dashboard for high level compliance information, but not to print out thousands of records. Of course, it is also because too much data makes the report run very slowly.

I understand the intent, but in my case, I have 84 fixlets and 119 nodes for a particular report… So I wind up with 3400 results.

Anyway, I had tried editing that line and changing the value to 4000… but it didn’t work. It wasn’t until I started using the Firefox developer tools to examine the script script from the browser that I realized I was continually using an old cached version. After I cleared my history, that cleared it all up.

Thanks Lee!

Lee,

Another question for you - is it possible to suppress fixlets that are hidden in the console from showing up in the reports?

Looks like I have omitted the filter to show only those not hidden. Here is what you can do.

• Ensure that the Fixlets are Globally Hidden.

• Edit the JavaScript file for the report to add the statement (globally visible flag of it = true).

The file is located somewhere like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\BESReportsServer\wwwroot\ext-3.2.0\fixlet_compliance.js

In my version of the file, the statements start around line 590. When you see “bes fixlets whose(”, you would add the condition above.

Let me know if this does not make sense.

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by GURVINDER-SINGH)

Wanted to confirm if the 15 Most Outstanding/Vulnerable Fixlets in this report are reporting numbers based on current filters or all the clients.

For example in the attached screenshots there are only 1767 clients in the group with the report but the fixlets show installed on 9000 machines.

If that’s the case then we can only rely on the Compliance Summary Chart but not the 15 Most Outstanding Fixlets chart.

Thanks,

Gurvinder

(imported comment written by Lee Wei 2)

Gurvinder,

I think it is because we have the “Group MS Patches” checked.

MS13-081 as a bulletin is made up of many Fixlets, so the report is totaling all the computers for the member Fixlets.

Lee Wei

Thanks a lot Lee. That did the trick.

We need to run 12 versions of the report every month post Patch Tuesday and was wondering if I need to take a stab at making it automated with correct filters applied already instead of the drop downs in the Javascript user generated drop downs how do you suggest I start on creating it (Excel Connector/SOAP/ Another version of web reports)?

Thanks,

Gurvinder Singh

I guess it depends on how familiar you are with the other technologies like SOAP.

I would certainly start with the JavaScript source already included with the report to see if you can modify to kick off the report upon entry, rather than needing to select the options then generate.

Good luck and sorry that I did not design this for automation.

Lee Wei

NP Lee,

I appreciate the report, when designing such things you never know how it takes a life of its own. If I manage to get this working I will definitely post it.

Gurvinder Singh

(imported comment written by Sagar_v_D)

Hi
Lee Wei,

Can we customize this report in such way If applicable fixlets are 0 then compliance should be shown as 100% and pie chart is showing compliance % by fixlets can it would be compliance % by computers.

Regards,

Sagar D.

Hmm,

I thought it is already showing 100% compliance if the applicable Fixlets are 0.

I looked at the source JavaScript at the following location:

Around line 961, I see:

if (totalApplicableFixlets == 0) {

compliancePercentage = 100;

} else {

compliancePercentage = (parseFloat(totalInstalledFixlets) / parseFloat(totalApplicableFixlets) * 100).toFixed(2);

}

I did not get the 2nd part of your question.

Lee Wei