Report Available: Fixlet Compliance by Computer Group

(imported comment written by Lee Wei)

Matt,

It is the report’s fault that it is not clear as to what is required.

Your statement is correct, but the report is expecting Fixlet objects rather than names.

So just change to:

relevant fixlets whose (category of it as lowercase contains 
"security hotfix") of bes computers

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by MBARTOSH)

Lee Wei

We would like to see just security hotfixes. I used the statement above, and I am not sure it worked because the Category column lists “Unspecified”. It seems that the category always returns “Unspecified”.

Looks like a bug in the report code.

The results are correct though, but the Category values are not returned correctly.

You can fix it by editing the JavaScript report file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\BESReportsServer\wwwroot\ext-3.2.0\fixlet_compliance.js

Around line 632, use the following statement that has been corrected:

var relevance = 'unique values of (id of item 0 of it as string & “||” & name of item 0 of it & “||” & item 1 of it & “||” & item 2 of it & “||” & item 3 of it & “||” & item 4 of it & “||” & item 5 of it & “||” & item 6 of it & “||” & item 7 of it) of (applicable computers whose (exists name of it) of it, ("<A name=%22" & name of it & “%22 href=%22” & link href of it & “%22 target=%22_blank%22>” & name of it & “”), (if (exists source severity of it) then ( if (source severity of it as lowercase contains “” or source severity of it as lowercase contains “<n/a>”) then (“Unspecified”) else (source severity of it) ) else (“Unspecified”)), (if (exists source release date of it ) then ((year of it as string & “-” & month of it as two digits as string & “-” & day_of_month of it as two digits as string) of source release date of it as string) else “1000-01-01”), (if (exists category of it) then (if (category of it as lowercase contains “”) then (“Unspecified”) else (category of it as string) ) else (“Unknown”)), (if (exists download size of it) then ((download size of it) as string) else (“0”)),display name of site of it, applicable computer count of it as string) of ’ + fixletFilter;

The change is specifically the following fragment:

if (category of it as lowercase contains “”) then (“Unspecified”) else (category of it as string) ) else (“Unknown”)

I was able to see the category when using Mozilla but not IE. However, using the filter below, there were still categories listed that were not security hot fixes.

relevant fixlets whose (category of it as lowercase contains

Security hotfix"
) of bes computers

Also when using Mozilla, the graph of the top 15 most vulnerable computers does not appear. It does with IE.

Sounds like we have 2 different issues.

• If you are seeing Fixlets that are not “Security hotfix” using this Relevance statement, that would be strange. Is it possible that you checked off additional boxes which will cause the statements to be ANDed together.

• The chart is displayed using a Flash component, so if you don’t see it in Mozilla, we can check the Flash component. Also check the Web Console for any errors that might have been generated.

Lee Wei

Why does the following statement fail in the session relevance tester, but seems to work for the compliance report? The error is in the session relevance tester is: the operator “string” is not defined.

relevant fixlets whose (category of it as lowercase contains “security hotfix”) of bes computers

I would like to modify the statement to include the source severity, but I can’t get by this error. Would this statement be correct?

relevant fixlets whose (Category of it as lowercase contains “security hotfix”) and whose (Source Severity of it as lowercase = “critical” or "important) of bes computers

The statement that you want should look like this:

relevant fixlets
whose (
category of it as lowercase contains “security hotfix” and
(source severity of it as lowercase = “critical” or
source severity of it as lowercase = “important”)
) of bes computers

Return types for the statements are important. The compliance report expects “Fixlets” as return type, so the statement above will work correctly.

In the Session Relevance Editor, it does not know how to print out a “Fixlet” object by default, so you need to explicitly ask for an attribute of the Fixlet object, such as Name, ID, Source Release Date, and etc.

This will work from the Session Relevance Editor as an example:

(name of it, id of it, name of site of it) of relevant fixlets
whose (
category of it as lowercase contains “security hotfix” and
(source severity of it as lowercase = “critical” or
source severity of it as lowercase = “important”)
) of bes computers

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by PFX4_Nancy_Laviolette)

Please HELP:

Running the report manually works as expected.

However, I am trying to schedule this report to send me an email with the output. When I do the email only contains the following when set to HTML output:

Important Information

Loading…

And if I set it to CSV I get an attachment that contains the following:

Important Information

Loading…

Nancy,

This report is written in JavaScript with user interaction.

I am sorry that this report cannot be scheduled for email.

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by jspanitz)

Any chance these will be updated to work in TEM 9.x

Hi John,

The report works in 9.x, and I just tested on 9.0.586.

What errors are you getting?

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by jspanitz)

We were hoping the Export to Excel would be enhanced to work with IE.

Sorry that the technique that I use to export data on the client-side does not work on IE.

Server-side exports to PDF, Excel is much easier, but this application is client-side only, hence the limitations.

(imported comment written by VipulSri)

Hello Lee,

Thanks for the wonderful Custom report. I tried it in my DEV environment and it worked for the first time and then I think i messed it up by making some changes to session relevance by using the edit relevance button and now I am not able to get this working again.

I tried to remove the folder and the reports and then redo it, still with no luck. I am attaching the error I am getting.

Any help will be appreciated.

Also I have a request…if you get time. i need a custom report which takes two properties that I have created. one is for the “agent install date” and then other one is for the “region”. I am trying to create a bar chart which should be dynamic in nature and gives me the number of agent installed (Y-axis) for a particular Region (X-axis) on a particular date.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Vipul

(imported comment written by Lee Wei 2)

Vipul,

Base on the error, it looks like you have checked both “All Microsoft Critical Fixlets” AND the “Custom Relevance Expression”.

So the 2 filters are being combined together. However, you have no entered anything for Custom Relevance Expression.

Try Unchecking Custom Relevance, which is at the bottom of the drop list, and run again.

Lee Wei

Thanks a lot Lee, It is woking now and it is really amazing.

Also, any help for my second request for the custom web report???

Vipul

Hello Vipul,

Yes it is not easy to create a chart, because we will have to do it by hand.

One suggestion is to use the Excel Connector to export the data that you need, and do the bar chart within Excel.

Lee Wei

Thanks Lee,

No worries. Thanks for looking into this.

Cheers!!

(imported comment written by cstoneba)

hi lee, i’m running the most recent version of this report and found something interesting. From the Content drop down, i’m selecting a 4 baselines from a custom site. When I run the report, the section in the middle isn’t showing the cumulative values of remediated fixlets for a server across all the selected baselines , and the name of the section isn’t all the baseline I selected, just one. Have you seen this before?

Sorry I cannot picture the issue, maybe screen shots might help?