New White Paper: BigFix Capacity Planning, Performance, and Management Guide

Hello all,

For my first post here, I am pleased to announce the publication of the “IBM BigFix Version 9.2: Capacity Planning, Performance, and Management Guide” white paper.
It is available from the following URL: Technote

The white paper provides an overview of performance management and capacity planning for the IBM BigFix Version 9.2 solution. This includes the deployment of the BigFix management servers into cloud, or virtual, environments.

We have been putting a heavy focus on BigFix performance, and as we continue to drive new functionality and improvements, we will keep this document up to date as a “one stop” performance and capacity planning reference. We already have additional content in the pipeline.

If you have any comments on the content (questions, criticisms, compliments, etc. :-)) please feel free to message or email me directly. Thank you!

6 Likes

The link is not working. From home I get the following response …

Bad Gateway

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
IBM_HTTP_Server Server at www-01.ibm.com Port 443

Hi Tim, I expect it is an interim issue on the server side.

I will monitor today and post when the link is healthy again. Thx.

fyi the link now appears to be healthy again. Thx.

FillDB utility offers a number of database boost levels

What do these do? Why aren’t there links to more info or documentation about them?

I’d like to see more links to related documentation throughout.

Hi there James. The FillDB options provide some database transaction options (merge and transaction boundary support). IMHO it is a level of detail and management customers should not be bothering with, so we are working on some improvements and simplification in this area. A document update on these improvements in currently in progress.

As for adding more links, I can do a pass on this. There are a number of references in place already, and the intent is to make the document as clear and self contained as possible (rather than jumping around or having to read multiple sources). Once again though, I will take a pass on the document and improve it.

Thx a lot for the feedback.

Having been asked to gather FillDB statistics during a performance analysis… I too would like to know what they measure.

1 Like

Insertion rates. How fast is data getting plowed into the database by rows per second for various types of result types.

As mentioned, we are planning an update on FillDB and can provide some stats content there (we have broken down analysis on stats processing etc.).

As for insertion rates, they are semi-meaningless on their own (especially with “uncontrolled” workloads). Typically infrastructure latency (IO, process) are the first points of understanding (and something we cover). We will publish more detailed data on FillDB performance, likely including insertion rates, once our current set of improvements are delivered.

1 Like