Move BES SQL Server from Remote to Local

Hi,

We are looking to move our DB that currently sits on a remote server, locally to the BigFix server. I am trying to find best practices/documentation on how to do this. I have found this article but is there anything else I should be aware of when performing this?

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21667269

Thank you

@MagLev,

In my opinion… very smart move! We made the mistake of running our BES databases remotely for a short time and it totally bit us. Any latency, especially with the FillDB services, can and will cause cascading issues within a large BES environment.

Moving the databases themselves is relatively straight forward. I’d recommend leaving the existing remote DB instance in place, but turned down until the new, local instance is up and validated. Also, make sure that you update the database connections on your root BES server and any remote WebReports and/or WebUI instances.

That said, before you migrate your databases to the root BES server make sure that server has sufficient CPU, memory and the fastest storage I/O possible. Additionally, make sure that you fence the memory consumption of your SQL instance so that it doesn’t take too much away from the kernel and BES services.

Finally, make sure to review the “BigFix Capacity Planning, Performance, and Management Guide” that’s available at New White Paper: BigFix Capacity Planning, Performance, and Management Guide

I hope this helps! @cmcannady

1 Like

Hi Casey,

Do you happen to have technical documentation to support moving the database from a separated database server to root server?

Regards!

Hi Dabis,

The primary purpose of co-locating DB2/MSSQL with your root BES server is to remove network I/O and decrease storage I/O issues with respects to the tremendous BigFix activity in large environments.

I would recommend starting with the BigFix Capacity Planning, Performance, and Management Guide forum post and whitepaper from @bigfix.mark (BigFix performance guru, super smart and all around great guy). Regular review and full understanding of Mark’s whitepaper is crucial for enterprise BigFix administrators.

There’s some good details in the Local & RemoteApps Console Performance Issues forum post too.

If there are some specific performance or security considerations you’re wanting to discuss, but hesitant to post publicly, please send them over via direct message.

Hope this helps.
@cmcannady