I did do those steps, but there were no log files in the folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\Applications\bigfixMeSync
I double clicked on the EXE to launch it manually to see what would happen and I got a message about .NET 3.5 being missing, which was due to it being on a Windows 2012R2 server that never had .NET 3.5 installed.
I installed .NET 3.5, rebooted the server, and then it started generating log files.
It is a little annoying to have to open the dashboard for the first time in order for things to get going. It would be nice if that wasn’t required so as much as possible could be automated.
Now I have the issue that I can subscribe to “sites” of content on BigFix.me but I can’t seem to subscribe to a specific user’s full set of content that isn’t in a named site on BigFix.me