Root/Application Server Migration

Hi all
we want to migrate root server with sql from physical box to VM
I found this article https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Server%20Migration with explanation.
But one thing is not clear "Custom settings that have been applied to the IEM Server will need to be implemented again after migration ◦ Typical examples include: Web Reports HTTPS configurations, Download Gather Cache Size, etc…"
I just start to work in this organization and I don’t really know what was changed manually and what not. Is it any way to check this ?
Thanks ,
Julia

On the existing root server, open the computer properties and carefully note the settings and their values. Some may have been uniquely set for your environment. Those settings should be made to the new server you are moving to.

Regarding a root server on VM, I’d discourage it unless you have a small environment and/or a very robust disk subsystem for your hypervisor.

I run a mid-size environment and have migrated servers several times. I specifically keep my root and key relays physical in order to have strong I/O that is needed for a responsive environment. On a VM, typically it would not only share disk with other VMs, but likely isn’t the highest tier of storage. In my case, multiple RAID 10s on enterprise-grade SSDs provide the I/O necessary.

Hi JonL, thanks for replay.
I understand about computer properties. What about baselines and custom sites and tasks\fixlets. Operators and theirs permissions? Also Web Reports?

Thanks,
Julia

One more, what about “Manage Properties” and some of the servers and computers have different properties, we have more than 6k servers\workstations I can check all of them, is it any way too export all existing computer properties and servers its exist on?

Julia,

When switching root servers, it is unique properties of that root that need to be replicated on the new root. All your custom sites, baselines, tasks, fixlets, etc are stored in the database. They will come over when you import you database to the SQL instance running on your new root.

Have your DBA prepare a generic new database with the same permissions and configuration. Prep your new root with a generic install using the same version as existing root and using your production masthead. Then on the day of cut-over, back up the Bigfix databases on the old server and import into the new one. See IBM Docs for migration.

I suggest you think twice about a new root on a VM for a 6K environment unless you have really robust I/O. The last thing you want is for your new root to be sluggish.

Also, if you have any open (policy) actions targeting your existing root, you’ll want to stop them after noting the task names and action parameters. Then post migration re-open them targeting the new root.

Remember to copy over encryption keys, web reports archive data, anything you care about in Upload Manager, or any other custom/add-in bits you may have in your existing root folder structure.

1 Like

The properties and fixlets/tasks/analyses/baselines should all transfer with the BFEnterprise database.

It is just the settings on the root server itself that may need to be re-set on the new one.

1 Like

Thanks, now its more clear