Report Available: Asset Dashboard

(imported topic written by Lee Wei)

Overview:

• Displays the summary of 4 selected properties, filtered by computer groups.

Installation:

• Download the zip file ext-3.2.0-computercompliance16-asset12-fixletcompliance11.zip
  • Unzip to the BigFix Web Reports root directory, for example “C:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\BESReportsServer\wwwroot”.

You should have a \wwwroot\ext-3.2.0 directory.

• If the \ext-3.2.0 directory already exists, the easiest is to rename it first.
  • Create the report by going to the Reports link/tab in Web Reports.

Scroll to the bottom to find button “Import Report”

Browse to the
Asset Management Dashboard v1.2.beswrpt
report file in the \ext-3.2.0 directory

It is in an XML format

Requirements:

• The report has been tested with BigFix 7.2.
  • The charts are produce entirely in JavaScript.
  • FireFox 3.x gives the best experience, but the report will work in IE, Chrome and Safari.
  • The export to Excel function requires Firefox.

Bug Fixes/Enhancements:

• 2010-05-21 v1.2 Fixed problem with Asset Management report not able to find all analysis.
  • 2010-05-16 v1.1 Initial release on the forum.

Notes:

• This report is related to and uses the same library as the following reports. So as a bonus, import and try the other reports as well.

Fixlet Compliance by Computer Group v1.6.beswrpt

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014743529&ps=25

Fixlet Compliance by Content v1.1.beswrpt

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014744033&ps=25

Lee Wei

Select the properties to display using the Configure button.

(imported comment written by russwm91)

Hello Lee,

Having and issue with the latest report. I got it to work fine in IE8 and Safari on client workstation, but it just sits and spins under latest version of Firefox 3.6.3. Each report weather it be the Asset Management Dashboard or the Fixlet Compliance report seems to have same issue. On the Asset report you click on it you get a message “loading computer group filter” with a spinning icon in background. I tried uninstall Firefox then rebooting same thing. I use Firefox as my browser since it’s more secure. If there is something that I need on my end please advise me.

Thanks,

Russ

(imported comment written by Lee Wei)

Hi Russ,

I use FireFox 3.6.3 primarily, so the browser is probably not the issue.

Under Tools/Error Console, what is the error that you are getting?

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by russwm91)

Hello Lee,

I checked the error console these are the errors I’m getting.

1. Syntax error

http://servername:port/webreports

1. Ext is not defined

http://servername:port/ext-3.2.0/ux/highchartpanel/ext.ux.highchartpanel.js

1. Ext is not defined

http://servername:port/ext-3.2.0/asset_managment.js

I also had some one check Google Chrome and it worked great too. I’m completely lost why it works on 3 other browser with no issues.

Thanks,

Russ

Russ,

If other browsers work, it would imply that the server side configurations are good.

Send me a private message, and I will help debug this.

I am interested to get to the bottom of this.

Lee Wei

Russ imported the .beswrpt reports as HTML.

They should be imported as XML.

It is interesting to us that some browsers tolerated the extra XML tags, but FireFox didn’t like them.

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by anthonymap91)

THIS IS A GREAT REPORT!!! This is what I have been looking for…

I did notice that it does not show all the properties in all analysis, is there a setting or reason for this?

I was thinking maybe the rate (every report, every hour…ETC) in which the property is retrieved?

Thanks for this great report…

Anthony

anthonymap

I did notice that it does not show all the properties in all analysis, is there a setting or reason for this?

Hi,

Did you notice what types of properties are missing from the analysis? I might be missing something.

Are they from custom sites? I can’t think of a reason offhand, but would love to track it down.

Lee Wei

I have a custom site some properties showed up and some did not.

I noticed that the properties that showed up are set to a period of every 1 hour and below. I changed those to every 6 hours and they all where not available anymore from the (Great) report.

I am not sure why this is happening, I changed some of the anyalsis on the custom site to every report and they still do not appear. It does seem to be something about the custom site though…I think

Thanks

I look at the source and there are 2 issues.

• Firstly, the Analysis filter is currently showing only those Activated. We can change this, but it wouldn’t make sense because those not activated have no data.

• Secondly, on line 178 of the asset_management.js file, change

and active flag of activation of source analysis of it =

true

to

and exists activations of source analysis of it

I would agree that the first change is not necessary.

I made the change like you suggested to line 178 and it works now. I see all the analysis.

Thank you very much.

Just a thought; would there be any way to remove the configure button. Once I create and publish reports as public it would be nice to make sure that no one can change them.

anthonymap

Just a thought; would there be any way to remove the configure button. Once I create and publish reports as public it would be nice to make sure that no one can change them.

On line 173, if you comment out the line

renderTo: 
'configureButton',

to

// renderTo: 'configureButton',

The Configure Button will no longer show up.

I won’t change this in the source and will leave this as a custom change for your use.

Lee Wei

Thanks for helping to track down this bug.

I have updated the download link with the fix.

Lee Wei

anthonymap,

I just realized that what you want to do by freezing the pre-defined properties won’t work.

The Report saves the properties selected in the browser cookies. So everything browser will start with my defaults (OS, CPU, RAM).

If you want the report to have the different defaults, you need to modify line 26.

The relevance statement picks up the IDs for OS, CPU and RAM. You can just change the properties to the other names as desired.

Let me know if you have issues or need help.

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by abinash91)

Hi Lee,

how can we add patch size in detail tab of Fixlet compliance by content version1.1 ?

Abinash Kumar

Hi Abinash,

I will respond to the question over in the thread for the Fixlet Compliance by Content report.

http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?pid=23681#p23681

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by mistervernon91)

I’m somewhat of a noob here …

Can anyone tell me, "from an operational standpoint, what are the most fundamental differences between using the BES Console versus using BES Web Reports to manage and maintain the BigFix (SCM) solution?

Thanks!

mistervernon

Can anyone tell me, "from an operational standpoint, what are the most fundamental differences between using the BES Console versus using BES Web Reports to manage and maintain the BigFix (SCM) solution?

Since Web Reports is read-only, you use that for reporting and general access, but the Console for actual management such as creating the control parameters, and enforcing the policies.

This usually falls in place when we don’t want casual and business BigFix users to have to deal with a Win32 based Console program. The HTML based Web Reports will work better.

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by Nitin_Gupta91)

Hi,

Can someone confirm if the Asset Management Dashboard works with BF v8.x.

The report looks great and want the same to be installed on my web reporting tool for getting data related to all assets.

Thanks,

Nitin,

Yes the report works with version 8.x.

I know of one problem where the screen is cut off at the top when configuring the properties.

What problems are you having? Let us know so that we can help.

Lee Wei