Remote Control Questions

I’m building an image to use in AWS Workspaces and got a lot of help about how to configure the client for the gold image here BigFix Client in AWS Workspace Image.

Now, I also want to make sure that Remote Control is installed and will work as expected as we provision using the image. Our remote control does not require a registration token. Are there any extra steps to take to make sure remote control works and the endpoint is seen as a unique device once we provision with this image?

Another question related to Remote Control but more for troubleshooting help: I have the remote control target installed. I’ve pushed our custom remote control settings. I see the service running. However, the icon is missing from the system tray - the one that the user right-clicks on the enter a code. I’ve uninstalled first using provided fixlet and also using Add or remove programs and always reinstalling using the fixlet. However, I just can’t figure out how to make the tray icon show up. The same fixlet is working when it runs during our OSD process.

Hi jriv,

About the first question. The Targets generate an ID from the machine information like mac address, ip, serial, model, vendor etc … In order to avoid collisions between different Targets you need to ensure that at least the mac address or the ip or the hostname are different from Target to Target.

About the second question. If the service is running and you can see the process trc_base but the tray icon is not showing up may be because you have opened an RDP session and you are expecting the icon in there. However in order to enable the icon in a RDP session you need to set follow.active.session on the server and restart the Target service. If you don’t want to wait for the synchronization (the Target might report few minutes later than the service start) you can manually set also the FollowActiveSession = yes property on the Target configuration. Note that this not only enable you to see the icon in a RDP session but allow you to capture the RDP session and see it from the Controller.

2 Likes

Hi @f.pezzotti,

Thank you. I found this article supporting your answer regarding active RDP sessions: https://support.hcltechsw.com/csm?id=kb_article&sys_id=2f3dd9a1db5d549455f38d6d1396198b. I made the changes, restarted the Target service and even restarted the VM but the icon never appears.

I opened up a support ticket but they seemed to be stumped. One thing we did see in the trc log is that the target is failing to register to the trc server and was not trying to connect to the broker at all (we don’t have a tunnel between AWS and our corp network). They think that the target needs to be able to connect to the trc server before it can even talk to the broker. I don’t believe this is true so they are escalating the case. They are attributing the missing tray icon to the failure to register.

1 Like

Hi jriv,

If you changed only the follow.active.sessison property in the trc.properties file the Target didn’t receive the update because is currently outside of the server network. So you need to establish a Broker session to let the target download the updated configuration. Otherwise you can manually change the property FollowActiveSession in the configuration.

They think that the target needs to be able to connect to the trc server before it can even talk to the broker

No that’s not true. The Target can register for the first time also during a Broker session but you need to configure at least the BrokerList property and set the property Managed = yes.