Reapply Actions Consistantly Over a Period of Time

(imported topic written by will.ware91)

Hello All,

Is there a way to make an action repeat itself daily without having to manually start the action each time I want it to run? I want to run a particular scan every 24 hours on a local subnet, but I can’t seem to get the action to repeat automatically.

Thank you for the help!

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

Yep, it’s a common confusion for folks new to the Console. The setting you are looking for is easily overlooked in the Take Action Dialog. We call an Action that doesn’t expire a “Policy Action”. See this KB for the instructions on how to set it up:

http://support.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/kbdirect.pl?id=113

Edit: that KB needs updating… it fails to mention the “Preset” pop-up menu in the Take Action Dialog which let’s you switch between Default, Policy, and any preset configurations you have created.

(imported comment written by will.ware91)

Thank you for the response.

I set the particular action that I want to repeat to be a policy action where the action reapplies itself when it becomes relevant again but it doesn’t seem to reapply.

I guess the problem I am having is setting the relevance of the action. For example, is there a way to make the action relevant 12 hours after it completes?

The idea is to get the action to run every 12 hours or so after it has completed. So the action may run throughout the day and perhaps finish at 6pm. After 12 hours, the action will reapply itself and begin the same process over again when I check BigFix again in the morning around 9 am. Does that make sense?

Thanks again for the support.