Message popup and postpone

Hi!
Where can I found information in client log about a message popup ?

The client log doesn’t specifically know any UI elements are being presented as the BESClientUI.exe actually is doing the work. What specifically are you trying to see?

I take an action with a post action reboot with a message and deadline 1 day.
The action run and the message is shown to user … no info on client log.
The user postpone … no info on log.
Is there any place where these info are stored ?
Thanks

When the client is sending something to the ClientUI you will get a log message something like

ActionLogMessage: (action: XXXX) Action signature verified for UI

This means the client sent a message for the action XXXX to the ClientUI for display which should be your indicator.

Does the ClientUI have it’s own logging that can be enabled and audited?

Is there a per-user ClientUI log?

Not currently and thus not currently but if it did have logging it would need to be per user

1 Like

What you wrote is valid for the “message” option tab not for post-action message

I believe you are correct. So you are looking for a log that shows when a user accepts a reboot notice or such?

Yes something like this.
A log or a registry key or an info stored in the *.db files in bes client folder

… something that DEFINITELY tells me “I’m a message popup postponed for 1 day related to ### action” :smiley:

I found these 2 key registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\GlobalOptions\PostponedActionRemindIntervalSeconds (number of seconds postponed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\GlobalOptions\PostponedActionRemindTime (bitshifted value to convert in decimal and it gives unix time)

Example
4A 3A 79 55 00 00 00
55793A4A (HEX)
1434008138 (DEC)
Thu, 11 Jun 2015 07:35:38 GMT

Those are definitely in use. I haven’t been able to look for anything else to indicate this delay yet.

Hi @glbproject, I just came across this post yesterday, this is exactly what I am looking for. However, I am having difficulty converting a bitshifted value to decimal to resolve the date/time. How is this shifted? I have copied the same hex code used in your example as a control so I can verify my function is accurate but I cannot seem to get it to work correctly. I have used an online converter to convert “4A 3A 79 55 00 00 00” but I do not get the same number you show (55793A4A). I apparently am missing a step, would you be able to clarify how you achieved the numbers you show in your example? Thank you!

The value is not bit shifted, it’s just showing the little endian byte order. So you just take the bytes in reverse order.

4A 3A 79 55 00 00 00 00 => 00 00 00 00 55 79 3A 4A

Then you just convert the hex value to decimal to get the unix time.

Does the popup work on Linux systems? We see the message in the log but no popup and the action fails.