Errors in relay.log on BES server

Hi there,

I’m noticing a lot of errors like

Thu, 11 Feb 2016 03:03:13 -0500 - RelaysFileUpdater (2080) - Database connection failed: Database Error: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Cannot open database "BFEnterprise" requested by the login. The login failed. (37000:4060)
[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user XXXXX. (28000:18456)

And

Thu, 11 Feb 2016 03:03:13 -0500 - /cgi-bin/bfenterprise/clientregister.exe (3216) - Uncaught exception in plugin ClientRegister with client XX.XX.XX.XX: Database Error: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Cannot open database "BFEnterprise" requested by the login. The login failed. (37000:4060)
[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user XXXXX. (28000:18456)

I replaced the account by XXXXX and the XX.XX.XX.XX refers to one or more Relay’s that are running in or environment.
I’m able to connect using this account on the BFEnterprise SQL database and the account has Owner permissions on the DB. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to trace the root cause?
Everything is working within Bigfix, but I would like to know where these errors come from.

Thanks guy’s.

Kind Regards,
Karin

Check that the ODBC to BFEnteprise is correctly setup.

On the BigFix server, open C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

Go to the System DSN tab and configure bes_bfenterprise:

Check the server is correctly specified:

Step through and check that the default database is set to BFEnterprise:

Step through to the end and test the connection:

Please let me know if any wrong information corrected on the ODBC settings was the cause.

Can you also check to see that the BigFix client is installed on the BigFix server machine. The client needs to be installed on the BigFix server machine in order for the BigFix server to work. Can you please check and let me know.

1 Like

Hi there, thanks for your reply.
I have checked the ODBC connection and all is set correctly.
The latest Bigfix client is also installed and running on the Bigfix server.

Any other thoughts?
Apparently the SQL is set up in a availability group, are there any specific settings required then possibly?

I also have issue’s with the Remote Control server, the permissions between user and target group are frequently lost, just vanished? In the log I find entries like “11-Feb-2016,23:41:53 [ReportManager] [ERROR] - Threw SQLException whilst getting a connection from a datasource :The TCP/IP connection to the host XXXX, port 1433 has failed. Error: “connect timed out. Verify the connection properties. Make sure that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port. Make sure that TCP connections to the port are not blocked by a firewall.”. DSRA0010E: SQL State = 08S01, Error Code = 0”

So again, connection to SQL availability group?

I just now installed 2 firewall rules on the RC server to allow incoming and outgoing traffic over TCP port 1433.

I don’t know if this will make any difference.

Is it running under a service account?

Is there a password stored somewhere that is being used?

Has the password been changed recently?

Related: