Difference between Notify Client ForceRefresh and Refresh

(imported topic written by murtasma91)

When working with a BigFix support technician on the phone to troubleshoot an issue with a client not receiving a relevant action they had me create a custom task which had the following Action script.

Notify Client ForceRefresh

What is the difference between having a client run this action and just right clicking on the computer in the console and sending a refresh command? I understand when you send a refresh the BigFix server sends out a UDP packet to the endpoint notify the client to check back in with BigFix. Does runnting this action against an endpoint cause the client to do a more complete evaulation against any all Fixlets, Tasks, Baselines, Actions ect?

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey murtasma,

I believe both commands trigger the same behavior. But we typically only use this command when troubleshooting…

Ben

(imported comment written by MrFixit)

I did some testing on this one and you can validate for yourself with debug logging turned up. The notify client forcerefresh will trigger a complete evaluation of content for the site that it was in. And from what I’ve seen only that site.

-Gary

1 Like

(imported comment written by murtasma91)

MrFixit

I did some testing on this one and you can validate for yourself with debug logging turned up. The notify client forcerefresh will trigger a complete evaluation of content for the site that it was in. And from what I’ve seen only that site.

-Gary

So if I’m experiencing a problem content in a site I should create a new task in the same site and deploy the action that lives in the site that is having issues?

(imported comment written by MrFixit)

Can you provide more details by what you call ‘problem content’?

My most common use of this is right after a major patching activity or application installs as most of my properties are set to only evaluate once a day or longer. After all of the changes are done we would include this step for the custom site that holds the analsyis that we use for auditing the results, and then we don’t have to wait a day or more for the reports to be valid.

-Gary

(imported comment written by murtasma91)

http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=5432

This is the problem I’m trying to troubleshoot.