BigFix Excel Connector

(imported comment written by Lee Wei)

John,

Thanks for letting me know, I will get someone to update the link in the lab.

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by jstarkey91)

Is Office 2010 64bit supported? I have installed but receive the following in the installation log:

Add-in Express Registrator Log File: 10/06/2010 06:11:17

Installation directory: C:\Users\jstarkey.domain\AppData\Roaming\BigFix, Inc\BigFix Excel Connector 2.0\

Registrator version: 6.1.3044.0

06:11:17 Starting the add-in registration process.

06:11:17 Loading mscoree.dll

06:11:17 Success.

06:11:17 .NET Framework installation directory:

06:11:17 The latest version of .NET Framework: ‘v4.0.30319’

06:11:17 Loading CLR: v4.0.30319.

06:11:17 Calling CLRCreateInstance method.

06:11:17 Calling GetRuntime method.

06:11:17 Calling GetInterface method.

06:11:17 Calling GetInterface method for the CorRuntimeHost interface.

06:11:17 Starting CLR…

06:11:17 The CLR v4.0.30319 has been initialized successfully.

06:11:17 Creating a new domain setup.

06:11:17 Getting the add-in directory.

06:11:17 Success. The directory is ‘C:\Users\jstarkey.domain\AppData\Roaming\BigFix, Inc\BigFix Excel Connector 2.0’

06:11:17 The configuration file is ‘(null)’

06:11:17 The ‘shadow copy’ is disabled.

06:11:17 Creating a new application domain.

06:11:17 Getting the base directory for the domain.

06:11:17 Success. The directory is ‘C:\Users\jstarkey.domain\AppData\Roaming\BigFix, Inc\BigFix Excel Connector 2.0’.

06:11:17 Searching for the Add-in Express core library.

06:11:17 Success. The ‘AddinExpress.MSO.2005.dll’ file is found.

06:11:17 Creating an instance of the ‘AddinExpress.Deployment.ADXRegistrator’ class.

06:11:17 Assembly identity is ‘AddinExpress.MSO.2005’.

06:11:17 Unwrapping the instance of the ‘AddinExpress.Deployment.ADXRegistrator’ class.

06:11:17 Calling the managed registration procedure.

06:11:17 Managed Error:

(Inner Exception)

Date and Time: 10/6/2010 6:11:17 AM

Machine Name: ComputerName

IP Address: fe80::6c24:1358:e283:b606%11

Current User: domain\jstarkey

Application Domain: C:\Users\jstarkey.domain\AppData\Roaming\BigFix, Inc\BigFix Excel Connector 2.0\

Assembly Codebase: file:///C:/Users/jstarkey.domain/AppData/Roaming/BigFix, Inc/BigFix Excel Connector 2.0/AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL

Assembly Full Name: AddinExpress.MSO.2005, Version=6.1.3044.2005, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4416dd98f0861965

Assembly Version: 6.1.3044.2005

Assembly Build Date: 5/2/2008 2:06:50 AM

Exception Source:

Exception Type: System.IO.FileLoadException

Exception Message: The located assembly’s manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Exception Target Site: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

• Stack Trace ----

(Outer Exception)

Date and Time: 10/6/2010 6:11:17 AM

Machine Name: ComputerName

IP Address: fe80::6c24:1358:e283:b606%11

Current User: domain\jstarkey

Application Domain: C:\Users\jstarkey.domain\AppData\Roaming\BigFix, Inc\BigFix Excel Connector 2.0\

Assembly Codebase: file:///C:/Users/jstarkey.domain/AppData/Roaming/BigFix, Inc/BigFix Excel Connector 2.0/AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL

Assembly Full Name: AddinExpress.MSO.2005, Version=6.1.3044.2005, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4416dd98f0861965

Assembly Version: 6.1.3044.2005

Assembly Build Date: 5/2/2008 2:06:50 AM

Exception Source: mscorlib

Exception Type: System.IO.FileLoadException

Exception Message: Could not load file or assembly ‘System.Design, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’ or one of its dependencies. The located assembly’s manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Exception Target Site: GetExportedTypes

• Stack Trace ----

System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.GetExportedTypes(assembly As RuntimeAssembly, retTypes As ObjectHandleOnStack)

AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL: N 00000 (0x0) JIT

System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.GetExportedTypes()

AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL: N 0000 (0x0) IL

AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Utilities.GetRegistrableTypesInAssembly(assembly As Assembly)

AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL: N 0006 (0x6) IL

AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Utilities.RegisterAssembly(assembly As Assembly, createVersionKey As Boolean, allUsers As Boolean, targetHive As ADXTargetRegistryHive, callRegMethod As Boolean)

AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL: N 0000 (0x0) IL

AddinExpress.Deployment.AddinDomainAdapter.RegisterForComInterop(register As Boolean, dllType As String, dllPath As String, showExceptions As Boolean)

AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL: N 0055 (0x37) IL

AddinExpress.Deployment.ADXRegistrator.RegisterAssembly(commandLine As String)

AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL: N 0437 (0x1B5) IL

06:11:17 The add-in registration process is completed with HRESULT = -2147467259.

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

jstarkey - we’ve got win7 64bit / office 2010 64bit with the bigfix excel connector working here. not sure if it is supported though.

I also have a request on this tool… Is there any way to add the computer groups as a returnable column is basically all of the inspector objects? At least as an available column? This would make it very helpful for us to know where systems are within our organization.

jspanitz - I installed the connector, but couldn’t find a way to bring it up in excel, plus got those errors in my installation logs…did you do anything speical in terms of installing it? did you install as local admin? Thanks!

We did install as local admin. Also, we don’t want stuff running from the users AppData folders, so we moved the install to “C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BigFix Excel Connector 2.0”. When we ran excel, it showed up in the ribbon just like it did under Office 2007.

thanks…i’ll give it a try again. Appreciate the help!

(imported comment written by ic3yr91)

For Windows 7 x64 & Office 2010:

Install in different DIR eg: C:\BFconnector

Hi all,

Sorry for the rash of install problems in the last few posts. There are 2 possible scenarios that I want to touch on.

• .NET Framework 4.0
  • Office Excel 2010 64-bit
  1. .NET Framework 4.0

There are 2 versions of .NET Framework 4.0 available. Full versus Client. Client is the light version with a smaller footprint.

The Excel Connector does not need 4.0. However, if you have 4.0 installed, you need the Full version.

How do I know I have this issue? What is the symptom?

The installation went successfully, but the Add-in does not show up in Excel.

The log file adxregistrator.log in the directory

user_home

\Add-in Express has the errors as posted:

http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?pid=24719#p24719

Where to download .NET Framework v4.0 Full?

Standalone Installer (48MB): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7

Web Installer (870K): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&displaylang=en

How can I confirm my .NET installation?

Framework Version Registry Key

2.0 HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\Install

3.0 HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Setup\InstallSuccess

3.5 HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5\Install

4.0 Client Profile HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client\Install

4.0 Full Profile HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full\Install

1. Office Excel 2010 64-bit

I have not tested nor specifically compiled the the Excel Connector for 64-bit Excel 2010.

Note that this is different from running the 32-bit Excel under an x64 operating system.

I will test it when I get a chance, and compile a new version as required.

Lee Wei

While I am at this, I plan to do an update with the following enhancements based on feedback from users.

• Ability to Refresh the query without having to walk through the Wizard.
  • Click a button to see the Session Relevance generated, without the need to Unhide the hidden worksheet.
  • The row height should autofit the data retrieved. Otherwise, some data is hidden when multiple values are returned for a cell.
  • Support 64-bit Excel 2010.

Let me know if you have other ideas.

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by LeeT.King)

Lee,

I have ran into issues as I have only been given Office 2013. Can you help with the install to do that?

V/r,

Lee

Lee,

Given the long thread, it might be more beneficial for you to start a separate thread to track your issue.

In any case, version 3.3.3 does support Excel 2013.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Excel%20Connector

What is the symptom of error that you are getting?

The best place to start is the installation log file at:

C:\Users[user-name]\Documents\Add-in Express\adxregistrator.log

Again, it would be helpful to star a separate thread to attach your log.

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by MrFixit)

Can you add ‘BES Custom Sites’ if you haven’t done that already?

thanks,

-Gary

Gary,

Can you please tell me more about BES Custom Sites? I am not picturing the use case.

If you choose BES Fixlets in the Wizard right now, you can see the custom sites listed.

I am sure you meant something different…

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by MrFixit)

When you start the Wizard the first ‘Selection’ screen you have the choice of ‘BES Sites’, and then you have the attributes for that. we have mant custom sites and readers and writers vary form site to site.

I’m still on 1.4 so if this is already in the newer version I’ll upgrade immediately.

-Gary

Gary - got it. This is not in 2.0 either.

The BES Site inspector does not give you information about your Custom Sites. OK, I will put that unto my to-do list.

(imported comment written by Shembop91)

How about the ability to save queries (keep in mind I haven’t really seen Web Reports 8.0)

How about Computer Groups

Simplified Date format for sorting in Excel, and easy date filtering

Shembop,

Great ideas, I will work on incorporating them.

Lee Wei

(imported comment written by sawozny91)

Shembop

How about the ability to save queries (keep in mind I haven’t really seen Web Reports 8.0)
How about Computer Groups
Simplified Date format for sorting in Excel, and easy date filtering

I’d like to second the proposal for Computer Groups. Not as much as an attribute to download (although that would be nice, I can see how it could be problematic as a computer can be part of multiple groups) but particularly as a filter criteria. It’s hard to get data that makes sense to the business without it.

Also, can you wildcard in the filter? If so, what is the character? * doesn’t seem to work.

And, while I’m asking for the moon, is there a way to do group and count? For example, in the 7.2 web interface you could get a list of all the installed applications and the count of how many computers each applicaiton was installed on (which you could also filter by group). I can’t seem to find a way to do it in the new 8.0 web interface, but this excel plug-in does almost the same thing. To get back to where I was in 7.2 I’d need computer group filtering and the ability to summarize counts of a particular return value. I can probably do some of this manually in Excel, but since you’re taking requests, I thought I’d ask. :slight_smile:

All in all, I LOVE this tool. SO much faster than digging through the web interface for ad-hoc reports.

(imported comment written by mbp911)

Need Help: I have a need to report on members of custom sites. Previous administrators added machines to some custom sites that should have been. Example: We have a custom site for specific machines and when reviewing applicability to Custom fixlets published in this site, I am finding the applicability numbers being skewed. I need to identify those machines in order to target them for action.

I noticed in previous posts that this feature was discussed, but not implimented?