Bigfix BES Client 10.0.8.37 Uninstall 1605 error

I’m currently running into a 1605 error when trying to uninstall the program from my software management service. I’ve found the uninstall string, which I scripted here: MsiExec.exe /X{DF2C25F9-4CCF-4492-89C2-8D3B7143D1AD} /qn and that works when you run it locally in a CMD admin window.

After searching the forum, I found this post: Msiexec 1605 that says the file was installed with user context so only the user can uninstall it. However, the users can’t uninstall it because they’re not local admins on the machine and I’m not about to make every user a local admin who has this software installed.

One of the solutions in the above mentioned post was to use OVERRIDE but I have no idea what that even means or how to script that out.

Am I missing something obvious?

You’d have to check with whatever your software management service is. BESClient doesn’t have a user-mode install though so that’s not likely the issue.

My software distribution system runs as a service, so I don’t think the problem lies with that.

I did also notice that when you install the program after uninstalling it the uninstall string changes. Which again is pointing me towards the issue described in the thread created last year.

Well, if you have a command line that works but your deployment tool doesn’t, I’m not sure what else to say.

Different versions or architectures of BESClient may have different MSI Product code values, as might customized client MSI packages (which determines the uninstallstring).

If you were using BigFix as your deployment tool, I could help you look that up dynamically and build the uninstall commands in an automated way. Not sure what to do with whatever your tool is though.

Oh, this maybe helpful, you could download the BESRemove tool and script it.

https://support.bigfix.com/bes/release/11.0/patch0/

I use Symantec as the software distribution, i’m not entirely sure what my users use BigFix for.

But the removal tool will probably work so I’ll try that.

Thank you!

I am going through the same issue right now using BigFix. i am trying to uninstall Webex and it goes through as completed but the users machine still has the webex installed. I’ve tried the uninstall string and that keeps failing.

when i try this action script and relevance all machines status are completed. but some actual uninstall Webex and some machine don’t do anything.

/* Only run if Webex is installed */ 1 = number of keys whose( (exists values “DisplayName” whose(it as string as lowercase starts with “Webex” as lowercase) of it) AND (exists values whose(it as string as lowercase starts with “msiexec”) of it) ) of keys “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall” of ( x64 registries; x32 registries )

Action script:
waithidden msiexec.exe /X { name of keys whose( (exists values “DisplayName” whose(it as string as lowercase starts with “Webex” as lowercase) of it) AND (exists values whose(it as string as lowercase starts with “msiexec”) of it) ) of keys “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall” of ( x64 registries; x32 registries ) } /qn