BigFix Agent Install Via MECM Task Sequence

Our current environment has its imaging of new computers done via MECM (SCCM), and once that’s completed all updates/application management is done via BigFix. I was hoping someone has experience with a similar setup, as I’ve been having a lot of trouble getting the BigFix agent to install correctly via the Task Sequence that is used to image computers and install our software baseline. All other software in our baseline installs just fine, however the BigFix agent continues to fail whether it’s an .exe deployment or .msi.

The installation line I’ve been trying to get work is currently:

msiexec /i “BigFixAgent.msi” TRANSFORMS=“masthead.afxm” REBOOT=ReallySuppress MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL=Disable /qn

I’ve confirmed that our masthead file is in the same directory as the installation .msi, and that its name matches what I have in the above code. Any advice is appreciated!

The masthead is not a transform.
If you need to use the MSI package, then use a client installer MSI created by the Installation Generator - this will have your masthead bundled as part of the MSI itself.

Otherwise use the EXE client setup, with the masthead.afxm in the same directory as the setup, and optionally with a client settings.cfg to specify any custom settings at install time.

3 Likes

You should use the BigFix Client Installation compiler, which will enable you to compile all of your supported files, including your masthead, config file, and other files, into a single executable.

http://support.bigfix.com/labs/BigFixInstallerCompiler.zip

Furthermore, there it does not trigger any reboot default by design; however, before mass-deploying any installers, they must first be exempted from or signed if your environment uses bit9 or another endpoint control that looks for signed files.

4 Likes

:exploding_head:

How long has that been there and why didn’t I know about it??!?

1 Like

It was news to me as well :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Update to this but after trying and failing to get the installer compiler to get an exe to work via MECM imaging, I used a powershell install option developed by the brilliant jgstew at https://github.com/jgstew/tools/blob/master/powershell/install_bigfix.ps1 and it worked great. Just had to modify it slightly to match our environment and not use an old link.

1 Like