Winsock error in endpoint logs

Hi All, Please suggest on the below error found in Bifix endpoint logs as it is failling to report in console:-1:
RegisterOnce: GetURL failed - General transport failure. - BAD SERVERNAME (winsock error 4294967290 - registration url

Based on the error (BAD SERVERNAME), it appears that the endpoint was not able to resolve the DNS Name of the Relay in question.

2 Likes

I have the similar issue. it could be the dns issue or /etc/hosts has incorrect settings
netstat -an|grep 52311 will tell you if the besclient has binded to 52311/udp port or not .

Seems to me that the BES client needs to be augmented to show a lot more information when it sees winsock errors. Like, when it sees a winsock error, it would perform a series of tests with the results placed into the log file.

Debug log set to 10000 didnā€™t show anything. Not good for those folks but glad to see its not just affecting me.

From the agent endpoint machine (the unix/windows machine) what are the results of the following commands?

ping bigfixserver.company.com nslookup bigfixserver.company.com traceroute bigfixserver.comany.com

Is the BigFix server reachable DNS resolvable on the network from the agent machine?

What is the __RelayServer1 client setting set to?

It should be in the form of http://bigfixserver.company.com:52311/bfmirror/downloads

Is it a fully qualified domain name that is entered here? A name that is DNS resolvable?

If you replace the name with the IP address of the BigFix server, and restart the BESClient service, does that resolve the issue? For example:

http://123.45.67.89:52311/bfmirror/downloads

Also, have you set the following client setting in the __RelaySelect_Automatic setting equal to 0 in the in the registry setting.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: SOCKET RECEIVE (winsock error 4294967286)

Hi,

If the problematic endpoint is a Linux box then add the Relay host name on the ā€˜/etc/hostsā€™ file

Thank you,

[quote=ā€œRiyazBasha, post:9, topic:30230ā€]
/etc/hosts
[/quote] working! thank you:)