Windows Software Distribution Wizard - Script Error

Using version 9.5.4.38 I am unable to complete the Windows Software Distribution Wizard due to a Script Error in wizards.js when attempting to click on the “Finish” button on the final step 6 of the Wizard. The issue appears no matter which computer the BigFix console is run from (BES server, RDS Server, Workstations, etc.). Other dashboards do not appear to give any issues.

Here is the text of the error and a screenshot.

An error has occurred in the script on this page.
D:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Console\Reference\wizards.js

I suggest that you open a PMR for that issue.

It seems the same issue described here:

I had seen that but it looked like the response from the developers was that they had fixed it and I am still experiencing the issue. I have an open case with Support now.

Did you get a fix to this script error, as I am also seeing this now.

When I’ve seen that error, either the path to the file/folder to be packaged was wrong, inaccessible, and/or was locked by another process.

I am also running into this issue.  It has happened a few times before but I found it was due to the source file pathway being entered incorrectly.  This time the source file is correct, and I tried to do it by Folder instead of file and still have the same issue.

Has anyone found solution options for this? Or has found ways to troubleshoot it? Is there a way to convert the pathway to a URL and use that option instead?

I apologize for not following up on this post. I submitted a support case and it had nothing to do with my package or what I was doing. It was a known bug in the version of BigFix I was running that had something to do with IE version. I had to wait a couple of months for a new release to include the fix. A workaround I used was to get an old unpatched Windows 7 machine to run the console on until the update came out.

If you aren’t on the latest version of BigFix I would encourage you to update if possible and then submit a support case if it happens again.

1 Like

I am currently running console version 9.5.7.90

i can confirm that after copying the source files locally (to c:\temp) and choosing the file from there using “browse” issue was resolved.

1 Like

This issue is still occuring with version 9.5.10.79. The @smalul 's solution works to me! Thanks!

1 Like

@smalul can you please elaborate on how you chose the files using this “browse” feature? I’m not sure what feature you are referring to.

When using the “Manage Software Distribution” feature you can select the installer package. The wizard offers a “Browse for files” dialog and uploads the selected files to the root server.

Are you having an issue with the SWD dashboard?

Ah, ok. Nevermind then. With my issue it isn’t the SWD dashboard, but the error message about wizards.js is the same. Actually encountering it with SCM content. Thought this solution might be a general solution for the wizards.js file.

ah, understood. Please start a new thread describing your problem and the product versions. And as this is happening with the default SCM content, you should open a support ticket so the team can diagnose your specific configuration. I’m not having issues with the SCM content at the moment so it may be something in your particular browser configuration for IE.

1 Like

don’t know if this topic is still alive, but the error happens (for me, anyway) when you point to source files from a network share / UNC path.
When you point to files on the local drive where the console is installed, the error does not pop up.

note that if you are using the bigfix console as a published application from terminal server / citrix, the source files need to be on the local drive of the server, where the console is installed.

I just ran into this issue as well using the SWDW. Tested another piece of software and didn’t get the error. Move the file to a local folder, still had the problem. In my case, this piece of software had already been packaged up, but had somehow gotten hosed up and we needed recreate it. It got deleted from the console, but apparently at the time, there was still an open action against it so the file never was removed from the server. SHA1 number was the same, so second attempt to deploy it failed with the js error simply because it could not create the file on the server. Even after stopping the old action, we couldn’t remove the file from the server. Had to shut down the BES Root Server service to remove it. Then redeployed the wizard and no more js error. Odd problem, but thought I’d share.

Hi All,

I just encountered with the similar problem, unable to create a package it was throwing wizards.js error.
In my case folder was used in CMD. So I closed cmd.exe and then moved the folder in different location. It worked fine.
Give it a try if someone faces this issue in future. CHEERS…

1 Like