Windows Insecure Permissions

Hey folks,

I am currently working on the vulnerability “Insecure Windows Service Permissions” since a few days but unable to find a solution yet. Below is the exact problem.

Description
At least one Windows service executable with insecure permissions was detected on the remote host. Services configured to use an executable with weak permissions are vulnerable to privilege escalation attacks.
An unprivileged user could modify or overwrite the executable with arbitrary code, which would be executed the next time the service is started. Depending on the user that the service runs as, this could result in privilege escalation.

This plugin checks if any of the following groups have permissions to modify executable files that are started by Windows services :

• Everyone
  • Users
  • Domain Users
  • Authenticated Users
    I am looking for a solution where I can fix this using any script which is understandable by BigFix as I need to push this to more than 100 servers .

So you need to modify the ACL’s on the systems folders/files. CACLS is a command line tool that should be able to help you.

1 Like