Windows Defender Updates

(imported topic written by richard91)

Does BigFix provide for Windows Defender definition updates?

THX!!

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi Richard,

Not at this time.

We had some issues integrating with Windows Defender and we haven’t been able to resolve them in the current release.

Ben

(imported comment written by richard91)

Thanks Ben.

Any schedule for resolution?

Hey Rich,

We should have a new wizard that will allow you to update Microsoft Defender available shortly in the “Client Manager for AntiVirus” site.

Ben

(imported comment written by JonFan)

Hi everyone,

We’re happy to announce that we now provide support for Windows Defender inside of the “Client Manager for AntiVirus” Fixlet site. See http://support.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/kbdirect.pl?id=457 for more details.

-Jon

(imported comment written by dgibson91)

Any chance of getting BigFix to publish fixlets for this? Something that updates automatically so we can use the Action re-generator.

Hey Dgibson,

If I remember correclt, I think the main reason we can’t update definitions with new Fixlet messages is that we never know when the update from Microsoft occurs (they just replace the file at seemingly random times) and thus we can’t guarantee that we are downloading the appropriate update.

Here is something you can do:

• Create a Fixlet to update MS Defender.
  • Use the action regenerator to re-run the Fixlet, but always delete the “sha1” file that is created (so that it will always issue the action).
  • Schedule the regenerator to run daily or every few days or whatever.

Ben

(imported comment written by dgibson91)

Thanks Ben. We only have 2 Vista test machines so far, so we are not sure if we will even use windows defender or not. I will keep this in mind when we start looking into it more closely.

Daryl