Windows Cluster patching for win 2016 & 2019

Hi, i can see cluster support sample plan upto win 2012 , does bigfix support windows cluster patching upto 2019?

I’m afraid I don’t have the hardware resources to try it in my lab. Are you encountering a problem? This may be worth submitting a support ticket.

If it’s not officially supported yet, I’d expect that it should be or should be coming soon, and perhaps you could gain access to some beta content if you have a need for it right now and are willing to help test.

I have hardware to test but i do not see fixlets for 2016 and 2019 , not sure if 2102R2 cluster scripts which are given into console may help?

Just want to confirm if i should give a try with old fixlets (2012 one) ?

I have a customer that is in your situation. We modified the relevance on the the cluster management fixlets and the script install fixlet to include 2016 & 2019. The scripts worked as expected allowing the automation plans to proceed normally.

2 Likes

we had to write our own to accomplish sql always on cluster patching

thx for the reply , Can you pls share the relevance and sample script what you have modified if possible?

You must test and validate what follows in your environment - you will be creating custom copies of OOTB tasks to use in your own automation plans. Also be aware that HCL may release updated Tasks that include 2016 and/or 2019 at any time.

Task 110: Should be already be relevant when the Cluster Service is running (ClusSvc). This task downloads the script package used by the other tasks to manage the cluster.

Task 117 and 138: Should already be relevant when the Cluster Service is running (ClusSvc).

Tasks 114-116: In each custom copy, modify Relevance 2 to include Windows Server 2016 & 2019, and exclude Windows Server 2008 & 2008R2:

name of operating system = "Win2012" OR name of operating system = "Win2012R2" or name of operating system = "Win2016" OR (name of operating system starts with "Win20" AND value of exists value "CurrentMajorVersionNumber" of it AND value "CurrentMajorVersionNumber" of it as integer = 10) of key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" of native registry)

Again, I must emphasize that you need to test and validate in your environment.

3 Likes

Thanks , i will try and get back if in case of issue

1 Like