Windows 2008 Servers showing up with "Unknown 6.1.7600" OS value

(imported topic written by arpotu91)

We’ve added three new Windows 2008 R2 servers, and they are showing up with an OS value of “Unknown 6.1.7600”. Our one other Windows 2008 R2 server is showing up fine (OS = “Win2008R2 6.1.7600”), and the regular Windows 2008 servers are also showing the OS as expected.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Arpotu.

(imported comment written by MattBoyd)

I think I’ve only seen this when a version of the BES Client older than 7.2.5.22 was installed.

(imported comment written by arpotu91)

Yep, we’re indeed running client version 7.2.1.357 on those servers. We’ll upgrade and I suspect the problem will go away :slight_smile: Thanks!

(imported comment written by arpotu91)

Worked like a champ! Feel kinda foolish for asking such a simple question. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Oh - couldn’t install the upgraded client through the provided fixlet, so I created a custom copy and replaced “win” with “unknown” in the relevance - the 3 servers showed as relevant and I was able to upgrade the client.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey guys,

To deal with exactly this upgrade issue for newer OSes that are yet-to-be released, agents will now (starting in 7.2.5 I believe) report “WinUnknown” for their OS if they think they are on Windows but they don’t know the version.

Ben

(imported comment written by smill59)

What version of the BigFix client will be able to return the value for w2k8 r2?

(imported comment written by BenKus)

BigFix 8.0 will support win2k8 r2…

Ben

(imported comment written by MattBoyd)

…and I believe 7.2.5.22 was the first version that returned a correct value for 2008R2… if that’s what you needed to know.