Windows 10 v1809 and v1909 december updates (KB4592440 and KB459249) failing to install and reverting back

Hi everyone,
On some Windows 10 v1809 and v1909 workstations, december updates (KB4592440 and KB459249) install, and after rebooting it fails to install and reverts back to the previous update. It keeps on failing and reverting after several tries.

After some troubleshooting, Running sfc /scannow doesn’t remediate the corruption issues. When checking the component store state using ‘dism /online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth’, the output is: The component store is repairable.

When running ‘dism /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth’, the output is:
Error: 0x8024402c
DISM failed. No operation was performed.

the CBS and DISM logs are not conclusive and don’t show any obvious errors.

I know this is not really an issue related to BigFix but wanted to see how have you gone about troubleshooting or even if you have experienced this issue and how it was resolved or anyone raised a case to Microsoft.

Thanks
Gianni.

We are having the same thing happen in our Company.

I’ve tried the following with no change:
Update Troubleshooter
Ran a setupDiag
SFC
CHKDSK
Updated all drivers and BIOS.
DISM

same here and waiting for the updates from Microsoft support

Did Microsoft say that they know about the issue? I’m assuming they’ll be publishing a new KB or at least modifying the existing?

I noticed This was happening mostly on win 10 1809 on our case. I assume it’s bc support for 1809 supposedly ended in November (according to their lifecycle chart) and as a result the patch is failing but BigFix was still showing it as relevant and Microsoft site still shows it as supported. I’m waiting clarification from Microsoft since the patch bulletin doesn’t mention the 1809 patch no longer supports the 1809 patch. The failure rate on win 10 1909 is minimal and i have been able to solve a few by running dism /restorehealth or other patch troubleshooting tools. Although, Still need to investigate more
I opened a case with Microsoft and their feedback so far on the information I provided was that there was a corrupt file and they were looking into it to provide a solution

1 Like