Windows 10 support?

(imported topic written by Pete F)

Just installed Windows 10 Enterprise preview… TEM is reporting it as " WinUnknown 6.4.9841" .

This is the “operating system” relevance that’s reporting

The srting thats being returned from Systeminfo is…

OS Name “Microsoft Windows Technical Preview for Enterprise”

(imported comment written by Tim.Rice)

I would imagine that once the Microsoft Windows 10 product becomes more stable (less of a preview, and more of a pre-release beta), IBM will release a new IEM client that correctly identifies the new OS.

(imported comment written by TheTick)

I recall seeing the exact same thing for 2012 and win 8 at one point. So like Tim said, it will come. Like MS settle on a name first :wink:

(imported comment written by AlanM)

Everyone is correct, when WINVER 6.4 becomes something truly official we will add the appropriate name.

I find it interesting that its only 6.4 though, same kernel as Vista/7/8/8.1 still?

1 Like

(imported comment written by Tim.Rice)

I get the impression that it’s more an Interface update than a Kernel update.

Yeah, so this happened when Windows 7 came out. The OS inspector also returned “WinUnknown” at that point.

If I remember correctly a new platform patch came out that officially supported Windows 7 and allowed it to report properly…

But in the meantime it’s pretty annoying if there’s anything that has OS checks that are more specific than “Name of operating system contains ‘win’”

1 Like

refreshing this post on if there are any updates to support Windows 10 yet.

1 Like

I’ve read that the actual version was finally going to break the 2-digit limit and internally known as “10.0” or somesuch, but that a shim was going to be provided such that executables that do not mark a particular compatibility flag in their manifest would see a “compatible” version instead of the actual OS version.

Sounded like a repeat of their “Fix DLL Hell via WinSxS” solution - add more layers so application developers can be undisciplined.

Yep, recollection seems to be pretty close

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724832(v=vs.85).aspx

We will, of course, want the BES client to manifest itself in a way to see the “real” Windows versions, preferably at or before Windows 10 Launch.

It is definitely 10.0 and due to a change Microsoft made in Windows 8.1 which has been apparently enhanced in Windows 10 a new agent will be required

See: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724832(v=vs.85).aspx

My understanding is that Windows 10 returns version 6.4 to legacy applications, and version 10 to non-legacy applications that are using newer APIs or something like that.

It should be safe to assume that 6.4 = Win10

Actually its worse. The 6.4 WINVER was in older revisions of the previews for Windows 10 but its now 10.0.

As of 8.1 (WINVER 6.3) Microsoft decided that the GetVersionEx function ( https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724451(v=vs.85).aspx ) would no longer return you the correct value if you didn’t have an appropriate manifest with the executable saying you ran on that platform. This is problematic for us and the function basically never returns the right result after Windows 8 anymore so we went around it the same way as many others online did (easy to search for ways around it) as we need to have agents try and return the right values so that we don’t have a new OS showing up as Windows 8. That being said something else seems to have changed or broken in Windows 10 so we had to refine that.

2 Likes