Windows 10 and OSD

I managed to install the Creator to the target machine and created the MDT bundle + OS resource as you suggested. Generate Bundle went through and I uploaded the MDT bundle from the target machine (I had previously placed the ISO to drive C: on the target machine). Now I have a new MDT bundle on the MDT resources tab.

Capture Image now shows Windows 10 as a selection. You are a life saver! Thank you!

Hi Viviana,

Thank you for the reply. I was able to import the Windows 10 Pro x64 ISO downloaded directly from the Microsoft product web site.

We would like to perform an in-place upgrade of our Windows 7 systems to Windows 10. Unfortunately, it appears that the in-place upgrade is not supported by BigFix OSD. MDT 2013 U1 supports an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 as explained in the following article from Technet.

Are there any plans to include this feature in BigFix OSD?

Thanks,
Vlad

Hi Vlad

the in-place upgrade is not currently supported by BigFix OSD.
As your point is very interesting I suggest to open a RFE so we can evaluate and eventually include this feature soon. Thank you.

Regards,
Viviana

Hi Viviana,

We have created an RFE for the in-place upgrade to Windows 10. Below is the link to it:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=80513

I would encourage everyone to vote for those who are interested in this feature. As you know, Microsoft is offering a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users (OEM). This offer expires in July 2016.

Thanks,
Vlad

It is a bit concerning to me that thereā€™s only a handful of ā€˜votesā€™ for this feature. It seems pretty important but has low visibility, is this how your team prioritizes development work (based on the votes?)

It seems a bit crazy to me that any available feature in the base MDT isnā€™t supported in BigFix, since BigFix is just layering on top of it.

We too have a large number of machines that weā€™d like to do an in place upgrade on to migrate to Windows 10. Do we have any idea of how long itā€™d be before this is supported?

Hi Enaille,
This forum is indeed a valuable source of input to prioritizes our development work, but it is not the only one. The requirement to support the in place upgrade of Windows 10 was received also via other channels.

The requirement was accepted and will be delivered in the next release that is currently under development. It should become available in 1Q 2016.

Hope this helps.
Best Regards
Antonio

1 Like

excellent news, thanks for the update.

The RFE system isnā€™t well used. It is meant more for long term planning of new features, those in the 1 to 3 year time frame.

This forum is the best way to get traction on things that are more short term that should be addressed like this, but it is still a good idea to file an RFE anyway because it it something that can be referred to by project managers.

See this post for related reading: How to ask for product help: PMRs, RFEs, and more

Windows 10 in-place upgrade feature is available in BigFix OS Deplyment 3.9 Beta code - You (Customers or IBMers) can contribute the IBM BigFix OS Deployment 3.9 Beta Program accessing Beta Wiki Page:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/W41cefdb169f4_4fdd_b71e_793844420ddb/page/IBM%20BigFix%20OS%20Deployment%20v3.9%20%20-%20Beta%20Program%20wiki%20page