Windows 10 Build Updates

Has there been any word or indication when Windows 10 build update fixlets will become available? Sending our help desk out to each system to update it to Threshold 2 really isn’t a practical option and is causing delays in our plans for long term use of the O.S. (for future builds). It looks like it is available in SCCM and WSUS now.

1 Like

You could write a BigFix task that would install it.

It should be possible to automate the install through windows update.

Hi Kapaalan,

I am Yunfei from the BigFix Windows Patching team.

At present the patch content team is not able to release a Fixlet for the Threshold 2 update as Microsoft doesn’t release a downloadable ‘patch’ for it.

Could you let us know more of “Sending our help desk out to each system to update it to Threshold 2”, what does help desk actually do on the system?

Thank you!

For desktops, the help desk person does merely need to run check for updates from the Windows 10 Updates and Security Panel. On our small deployment thus far (about 75) that isn’t a huge deal, but still time consuming.

For Laptops however, the process is more involved due to encryption. Depending on the specifics, we can either set the system to autoboot through the encryption pre-boot or decrypt for the update (virtually all our laptops are on solid state drives by this point, so the decryption time involved isn’t too bad). At that point, we would have to send the help desk person then. Being able to do it all remotely, even with the current cludge factor, would allow us to deploy more systems.

I agree a lot of this problem is with the handling of the build updates currently. It almost feels like intentional fragmentation since many systems would be stuck on a particular build without direct intervention otherwise.

If it can be automated through the command line, then it can be done with BigFix.

Why does the system need to be decrypted first? Are you using BitLocker?

No. McAfee drive encryption.

Unfortunately the encryption part is difficult to test because there is a 30 day “cooling” period with the normal windows update version from installation. That is, if I image a fresh system on the RTM build, you won’t see the new build in Windows Update for 30 days.

I’m starting to lean toward waiting for the next build to see if some of these issues are fixed by them.

1 Like

Hi all,
we are working to support the windows 10 in-place upgrade in next release of OSD, as stated here: Windows 10 and OSD

Regards

Good to know. Full Windows 10 support just got a whole lot more important too.

Apparently downgrade rights are going to be a thing of the past. While my interpretation of the whole Windows 10 build thing does seem to indicate that even the RTM build will get patches for 10 years, I don’t like the idea of a fragmented environment of 10 build.

These Build updates look like they are going to be frequent. Can we get a fixlet to do this even though it is not technically a patch. @jgstew mentioned you can do it via command line. Can you tell me how I might do that? I have looked and can’t find a good way to do it. Since Microsoft is changing the way it updates Windows, it seems like the BigFix team should adjust.

I said if

I haven’t looked into it, but I’m sure there must be a way to install Win10 build updates through the command line, even if it requires powershell, that could still be done with BigFix.

1 Like