Wildcards in filenames

I’m trying to create a custom catalog entry for CrowdStrike on Linux. The filename is “falcon-sensor” with a number following (version number, perhaps?).

In the signature definition I set the filename to be “falcon-sensor*” but that doesn’t seem to be working. From what I’ve read wildcards are valid, is that incorrect?

If I change the wildcard to the actual filename BFI identifies the applications. But each version of this particular application has a different filename, it’d be a pain in the butt to add a new one every time there’s a update to the app. Using a wildcard would be easier but it doesn’t seem to work.

Anybody?

Wildcards in file names are not supported in simple signatures created in BigFix Inventory Catalog Customization.

It you need to create a signature that uses wildcards in file name, you should create an extended signature. BigFix Inventory documentation contains information on how to create extended signatures as well as examples (templates) for most common use cases. You will fill this information at this link https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/inventory/Inventory/softinv/r_extended_signatures.html

For your case you should use a template for a file name and the signature would look like that:

<Variable name="IS_INSTALLED" export="true">
   <Compare type="string" relation="ne">
     <VectorToScalar>
        <FindFilePathEx name="falcon-sensor*"/>
     </VectorToScalar>
    <ValueOf value=""/>
  </Compare>
</Variable>
1 Like

Wildcards in file names are not supported in simple signatures created in BigFix Inventory Catalog Customization.

That explains why it wasn’t working!

Thanks for this info, I’ll give it a shot.