What licenses are needed for servers that BigFix manages in AWS

Hi,
We are starting to use AWS and we have about 35 lab servers in AWS already. We use BigFix for their patching and deployments of packages to these servers. We have RVU licenses and are RVUs right way to go? I am unable to find anything else on the internet regarding AWS servers that BigFix manages. Can someone please point me to right direction?

Thanks.

Hi,
the virtual servers that are managed by BigFix in the AWS public elastic cloud can be licensed in two ways when it comes to the licensing metric of BigFix:

• Managed Virtual Server
  • Resource Value Unit

For Managed Virtual Server licensing it is 1:1 ratio. 1 License per Virtual Server
For Resource Value Unit you need to license the number of vCPUs (Virtual Processor Cores) the Virtual Server instance on AWS public cloud is provisioned with.

Hope the above is helpful and clarifies.

Antonio Gallotti
Senior Offering Manager BigFix
IBM License Metric Tool and IBM BigFix Inventory

2 Likes

Thank you Antonio, this is very helpful.

At this time i have Client Devices and RVUs for licenses. Can i mix and match RVUs and Managed Virtual Server licenses?
I was thinking to use RVUs for servers that i am hosting on VMware and Managed Virtual Server licenses for AWS servers. I am not sure if i can mix and match licenses to makes sure that everything i have is covered?

Yes,
you can mix and match licenses in the scenario you described.

I would recommend grouping the servers accordingly so to simplify the required licensing management.

Antonio Gallotti
Senior Offering Manager BigFix
ILMT and BigFix Inventory

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help. This is very helpful.

Thanks.