What is the Power Save mode?

(imported topic written by esuzuki)

I’m currently using the MDM function and found some parameter related to Android battery use.

In the following link, there are some description of the parameters for Android.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Mobile%20Battery%20Usage?lang=en

And the next words in the description are unfamiliar to me:

• Power Save mode

• “Deep Sleep” power save mode

• Battery level (high, normal, low)

I can set agents to these mode by using the TEM task “Android Agent Setting: Configure Power Settings.”

but I don’t know if these words are TEM original terms.

I couldn’t find the explanation anywhere…

Please give an explanation of these terms.

Thanks,

Eri

(imported comment written by esuzuki)

Hi,

I guess the “Battery level” indicates the property “status of battery” in the Analysis “Battery Information - Android”

• Battery level (high, normal, low)

I found the description consisting with this in the next page.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Android%20Inspectors

But I still don’t know what exactly the “Power Save mode” and “Deep Sleep power save mode” mean.

These seem to be Android terms…

Thanks,

Eri

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi esuzuki,

Mobile devices in general are good at going into a very low power mode when they aren’t in use (CPU and other apps go into very low power mode). This is a function of Android (although I am not sure we are using exactly the same terms as Android).

In general, “deep sleep mode” and “power save mode” refer to when Android is trying to keep the CPU in an ultra low power mode.

Ben

(imported comment written by esuzuki)

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply.

It became clear that these terms are referring to the power save mode of Andoid.

I think there is a difference in the degree of sleeping

between the “normal power save mode” and the “deep sleep power save mode.”

Regards,

Eri Suzuki

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi Eri,

Yes. You can get some battery monitoring apps on Android and many of them will point out how long your device is in each power state (like Deep Sleep).

Ben

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

The two power save modes mentioned are actually affecting the agent itself. These modes will suspend the client from running when the environment is in a stable state, times which vary depending on battery and connectivity. The Deep Sleep mode is a mode where the client will not respond to many external deployment events and goes into the deepest sleep to save the most power - not to be used without full understanding of the limitations it brings.

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

From what I just posted, this is true of the agent itself, but the Android agent may have double meaning for these terms as well.