What is the best / correct way to handle windows 1903 update

I’ve been trying to update machines to windows 1903. If created the action with the option to make it an offer with a " post-action" restart the computer after the action completes. However people accept the offer , the action starts to run and when its finished to machine restarts. But the update doesnt finish, i mean the actual updating after the restart doesnt happen.

On a machine where i didnt use the restart computer after action completes and did a manual restart the update was installed succesfully

or is it better to use the in-place upgrade option from the bigfix os deployment and bare metal imaging?

Hey Brad - Take a look see please @bradsexton81

The best option would be to use the in-place upgrade fixlet via the bare metal and OSD site and not the patches for windows site.

Ok , but is ther esome good explanation how to do so? since i didnt get into the baremetal deployment etc. I’ve uploaded an install.wim (which takes forever)

the image in the image library says " image does not have corresponding os resource you can upload the issing resource on the bundel and media manager dashboard" should i’ve uploaded the complete iso?

Hi MartijnG. You’ll need to upload the OS Resources (and MDT bundle) through a separate process. Instructions are here: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SS63NW_9.5.0/com.ibm.bigfix.lifecycle.doc/Lifecycle/OSD_Users_Guide/c_creating_mdt_bundles_dash.html

If you upload the complete iso everything is generated and i have deployed the update to a few machines now, however during the process there is no indication that the setup is still running and the machine will be rebooted. Is there any way possible to indicate its still running?

the " The following message will be displayed while running the action:" seems to disappear or is dismisable by users, this means that if they dont have that message the machine will jus treboot after the setup proces completed

If you look at this guide it will show you how to break up the download to the PC and then second you would schedule the install at a later date using the same downloaded files already on the PC. Unfortunately the install is silent so therefore the user would not see anything displayed unless you display a message. This way the user is not waiting for downloads and the install actually happens when you schedule it to

I dont use the OSD for Win10 upgrades but some modified content from bigfix.me and additional information from the HCL provided jobs. Its a multi-stage upgrade job that I have had some decent success with. If you search “Win10-1809” in BigFix me you should see three jobs which were the basis of my tasks, you should just need to update with the ISO information for newer versions

Here is the rundown of my jobs
(Added) Stage 0 -> tell machine to work with a specific relay and adjust the precache settings on the local host
Stage 1 -> Copy the ISO file to the local machine, change relay and precache settings back once copy is complete.
(Added) Stage 1.5 -> Run compatibility check of the ISO on the local machine (its like the existing Stage 2 job but with extra command line parameter)
Stage 2 -> Upgrade the OS, create log files (this job is pretty much what HCL provides when new OS comes out)
Stage 3 -> Cleanup ISO file after upgrade

I built some relevance into the jobs so you need to go in the right order for the jobs (cant do Stage2 if the ISO file does not exist).

Sorry to be clear you dont just have to use the in-place upgrade for Windows 7 to Windows 10. This is also for Window 10 to Windows 10 and different builds

Well i’ve been trying to get this to work in a mostly foolproof way but i’m running into some issues.

Wer are running bigfix as an mssp for different customers , so we are facing the challenges of different deployment scheduled (fastlane wave 1 / fastlane wave 2/ defered lane wave 1 and deferred lane wave 2)

what we are facing now is we’ve uploaded the january updated 1909 build, but if a machine has allready installed the february cumulative update this means the upgrade will fail.

Furthermore we are facing an issue that most likely is cause by the installation of the dutch language pack on an en-us installation, the target validation fails on

Completed continue if {parameter “imageLanguage” as string is “da-dk”}
Completed elseif {parameter “targetSystemLanguage” as string contains “Dutch”}
Completed continue if {parameter “imageLanguage” as string is “nl-nl”}
Completed elseif {parameter “targetSystemLanguage” as string contains “English (United States)”}
Failed continue if {parameter “imageLanguage” as string is “en-us”}
elseif {parameter “targetSystemLanguage” as string contains “English (United Kingdom)”}
continue if {parameter “imageLanguage” as string is “en-gb”}
elseif {parameter “targetSystemLanguage” as string contains “Estonian”}