What are my options for unsupported OS?

Hello, I’m new to BigFix.
I have a few Windows 10 machines with versions earlier than 1903. All of which are unsupported:

What are my options? From a few posts here I figured I need to pay MS for extended support, but then what? Do I talk to my BigFix vendor and they handle stuff on their end? Then I should be able to see fixlets for those OSs available?

If I understood it wrong, please let me know what my options are :slight_smile:

The “Unsupported OS” fixlets are simply a warning that the OS is…unsupported. Microsoft isn’t publishing new patches for those builds of Windows 10, so they remain vulnerable to any new security issues that were discovered after they went end-of-life. Those Fixlets don’t have any actions because they are a warning message.

For Windows 7 / 2008 R2, you can purchase Extended Support from Microsoft, and Extended Support from BigFix, and patch those with fixlets from our “ESU Patching for Windows 2008” and “ESU Patching for Windows 7” sites.

I’m not sure whether Microsoft offers any extended support for earlier builds of Windows 10. The best path forward is to upgrade those to supported builds (Windows 10 1909, 2004 at the moment).

We do provide fixlets to upgrade Windows 10 builds (for Business editions, at least) to help you with that process.

1 Like

Thanks Jason.

We do provide fixlets to upgrade Windows 10 builds (for Business editions, at least) to help you with that process.

Do I need the Lifecycle module for BigFix or can it be done with the bare minimum license I have (base + patch management).

Thanks

Those two you can see there are included in Patches for Windows, so you should be good with the base.

If you are looking to use OS Deployment to push up an image or do an upgrade like that then you would need LifeCycle.

1 Like

I too have unsupported OS, 2008, and have purchased the extended support. But Bigfix wants 10K to be able to push them. Not going to pay that on top of the extended support. So have to do them manually.