WebUI Uninstall/Reinstall, Best Practice

I’m on BigFix 9.5.5 platform with WebUI installed on the root server. Ever since last week’s auto update to webui I am having issues. Thinking of uninstalling/reinstalling. And wondering if best practice is for WebUI to be on the root server or separate? BigFix support is also giving me conflicting information on how to do the reinstall. Anyone have any solid instructions and advice?

I’m about to start one in a few minutes, so I’ll let you know.

I don’t really think it’s that big of a deal since there isn’t much for us to try to save, so I am just going to stop the services and run the Remove WebUI Service fixlet.

OK thanks. Good luck. Are you also having an issue with your webui since the auto update last Friday?

I just installed it yesterday and I am getting this issue:

Or, at least, a variant of it. We are on 9.5.9 and have very few devices so far, so after manually removing entries from the database and removing the sites from the /webui folder on the server, we are just blowing it away since we have basically done nothing in WebUI yet.

Sorry I’m not much help!

So we just removed using that remove WebUI service fixlet, had to reboot, and the machine because relevant again and we reinstalled just fine. Back up and working just fine! Might take longer for you if you have more machines. Also note that you may need to reissue your certs which we hadn’t done yet anyway.

Where I’m still confused is… when deploying WebUI to use MSSQL… do we need to create a NEW SQL database or its just using the existing BF Enterprise database? If it’s the latter, does anyone know the exact permissions the account that will access the db from webui needs? Do we just use the same account that BigFix root server uses to connect to the db?

It’s going to use your BFEnterprise database directly.

You will want to use a new user.

I posted this same answer to your other posting … HERE

there is a link in the Description that talks about Deployment Requirements. The link it takes you to is …

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSTK87_9.5.0/com.ibm.bigfix.webui.doc/WebUI/Admin_Guide/c_deployment_requirements.html

Specifically, to answer your question …

• Make sure that your DBA grants the database user to be used for the WebUI installation:
    • Read access to all of the DBO tables in BFENT (DB2), BFEnterprise (MS SQL Server).
    • The ability to create stored procedures.
    • The ability to create new indexes in the WebUI namespace.
    • The ability to create new tables in the WebUI namespace.

Tim, why do you need to use a new user? Seems to be working with the same user we used the first time.

I don’t know that you NEED to use two accounts, but it seemed logical to me. I prefer to compartmentalize the access required by the different servers.

For some reason I thought you were implying that when you are re-installing you need a new/different user than the one you used the first time you installed. Didn’t make much sense but I think my reading comprehension whiffed a little.

If you are “reinstalling” WebUI, you should be able to reuse the same account, just make sure it has the correct access rights assigned to it.

Thanks Tim. Do you by any chance have a sql script I can run on my BFEnterprise database to set those permissions? Or can you tell me exactly how to set these permissions? I don’t have a dedicated SQL DBA so it falls under my responsibility, and I’m not much of a DBA.

What would happen if I deploy it with either not setting correct permisions on the DB or if I just deploy the fixlet incorrectly by entering bad text in the fields? Would it fail altogether or would I need to then remove it, reinstall again?

I’m planning to uninstall my existing (broken) webui which is on root server using fixlet ID 2557, then install fixlet ID 2705 on one of my relays.

Can anyone help to provide necessary statements I need to run to give a new service account proper rights for webui? The most I’m getting out of BigFix support is what Tim wrote above, but I don’t know the actual statements to set these permissions