WebUI and Web Reports redirection

With WebUI and Web Reports running on the same web server, we’re looking into options to redirect users without them having to enter the port number of the application in question.

Since a simple CNAME record is out of the question, I’m currently looking at using either a reverse proxy or the equivalent of an Apache software virtual host to filter incoming requests to either webreports.xyz.com or webui.xyz.com and redirect them to the appropriate dns:port.

Does anyone have any tips and/or experience with this kind of setup? Suggestions for alternate solutions would also be welcome.

Cheers,
Martin

If you have loadbalancers in your infrastructure they are great for this kind of thing - they will do the port translation for you. It works really well.

1 Like

I would recommend running the Web Reports server somewhere other than the Root Sever in general, especially if you have many users.

Right now the WebUI must run on the root server, but that should change soon.

If you are going to have a Web Reports server on the root, I would recommend using that for REST API queries only and the separate Web Reports server that users would actually log into.

You can have multiple Web Reports servers.

If you have them on separate servers, then users would go to different URLs depending on which they are trying to access. In this case CNAME would work.