WebEx Productivity Tools

Has anyone succesfully installed WebEx PT with the results they would expect?

For example, installing as System with the command:

msiexec.exe /q /i "ptools.msi" SITEURL="https://acme.webex.com" OI=1 OC=1 OFFICE=1 AUTOOC=1 IE=1 RMENU=1 SKYPE=1

Installs it as far as it is located in Control Panel > Programs, but not in the Start Menu. Basically there is zero indication it is installed.

The user would have to know to manually run the EXE located below to kick off the install setup.

C:\Program Files (x86)\WebEx\Productivity Tools\ptoneclk.exe

It works great if you install it as Current User (so long as UAC is disabled), but we need to install as System.

WebEx document says they support installing as System but when I opened up a ticket with them, they said:

Cisco said that the Productivity Tools require the ability to install to local profiles and this can be performed by System or Admin as described in the article you mentioned, but the program itself still needs to be installed to the local profile for it to function correctly.

What am I missing?

Can you try it with ALLUSERS=1 added to the command line?

1 Like

That put me in a much better place! Thank you. I re-read the WebEx documentation and searched for “ALLUSERS” and it was under SCCM deployment (which I wouldn’t have read) and it also had it =2. I see where =1 is the better option in our case.

Thanks again!

Glad I could help.

For reference, “ALLUSERS=” is a common MSI package property, not specific to WebEx or to SCCM, so this may apply to other packages. I used this frequently when I was remotely deploying software through cmdlines.txt or SetupComplete.cmd during RIS/WDS-based Windows setups and through Task Scheduler.

2 Likes

I know this isn’t directly related to the package install question but has anyone found a way to download the latest version of WebEx? Their download location has the client version info in it which does not help if you want to put it in a fixlet and get the latest version every time:

https://24hourfit.webex.com/upgradeserver/client/ptool/2.8.0/msi/ptools.msi

In the above download URL WebEx is on the 2.8.0 version but the 2.9.0 version is right around the corner!