Web Report - How to report Windows 10 Computer Description

Hello BigFix Community,

I am trying to find a way to have a web report also pull Windows 10 Computer Description information. We use that field to add a customized inventory barcode and would like to have it automatically pulled vice the tech adding it after the fact.

Any assistance on this is greatly appreciated.

You’d need to create an Analysis to retrieve that value into a Property (it’s stored in the Registry), and then add a field in Web Reports to retrieve the property results.

2 Likes

Can Someone provide the sets by step, i am new to the BIgfix

I use the following

I started with https://bigfix.me/analysis/details/2994800 and added another property called “OS Description” with the following relevance:

if (exists wmi AND exists selects "description from Win32_OperatingSystem" of wmi AND not ((string value of selects "description from Win32_OperatingSystem" of wmi) = "")) then (string value of selects "description from Win32_OperatingSystem" of wmi) else ("Not Set")

I set it to report every 1 day as this does not change at all.

You could also just make it a managed property if you want.

Martin

1 Like

I would write the relevance like this, which should be more efficient:

(it as trimmed string) whose(it != "") of string values of selects "description from Win32_OperatingSystem" of wmis

This should achieve the same thing but only query WMI once.

This appears to be equivalent using a registry read instead, which should be more efficient than WMI:

(it as string as trimmed string) whose(it != "") of values "srvcomment" of keys "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" of registries
1 Like