Wake from Standby by Magic Packet - Windows 10

I’m finding that Task 54 in Power Management “Enable Enable Wake-from-Standby by Magic Packet - Windows XP/Vista/2008/7/8 and Mac OS 10.4/10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8” does not work with Windows 10 (obviously, the task name says it all, and it’s not relevant to Windows 10).

I manually applied the registry settings to a Windows 10 client and it doesn’t work. But I do have Wake-from-Standby working for Windows 10 with slightly different configuration settings.

Where this task configures the PnPCapabilities registry key for NICs to decimal value 288, Wake-from-Standby does not work. But when I configure PnPCapabilities to decimal 256, both Wake-from-Standby and Wake-from-Powered-Off do work.

(By the way, does anyone have a good reference for each flag of PnPCapabilities? It’s a bitmap set of flags but I haven’t found a reference…)

For Wake-from-Powered-Off to work in Windows 10, we also have to disable “Fast Startup” mode, and there are vendor-specific registry key entries to add for Intel and for Broadcom/Qlogic network cards. Once I get my Fixlet for these cleaned up and publishable I’ll post it to bigfix.me.

edit: d’oh, confused “Characteristics” and “PnPCapabilities”. Updated to reflect the “PnPCapabilities” value.

Jason,

I have tried the 256 setting for Windows 10, but wake-on-lan and wake-from-standby is still not working. Fast boot is not on in the bios, and the network adapter seems to have all of settings set for WOL.

I found the problem. There is a Windows setting in Power Options for fast boot: power options>choose what the power buttons do>change settings that are currently unavailable>uncheck Turn on fast startup

Turning off fast startup in the Windows Power Options solved the problem. I didn’t have to change the PnpCapabilities registry key which means that the Bigfix published fixlet is correct.

1 Like