Visual Guide for Upgrading to BigFix version 9.5

I needed to upgrade my single instance BigFix server and thought I would capture the steps and provide some notes along the way. Please provide any feed back, provide suggestions for additions, or ask questions.VisualUpgrade9.5.pdf (427.3 KB)

Hope you find it useful in your planning to upgrade.

5 Likes

Looks Good. Have two questions

1. In the last release I noticed that the Consoles would not update on endpoints that only had a console & Agent on it. I think the relevance was wrong - ( I ended up having a uninstall console Fixlet for the previous version, then reinstalled the new version) does that now work?

2. When you normally do Client upgrade, do you make it a policy, until the next upgrade

The Server Component fixlet will update a Console/Agent only setup, but the agent must re-register to notice that the server has updated. By default this can take up to 6 hours before the agent re-registers.

If you want to force the issue you can restart the client or send a relay select command to the agents so they notice the server has updated.

Great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to put this together! --Mark

Hi all …

I found Adam’s Visual Upgrade Guide to be very helpful, but it was specific to a Windows / SQL Server deployment of BigFix.

Attached here is a modified Visual Upgrade Guide specific to a Linux / DB2 deployment of BigFix that I wrote to help me upgrade to 9.5.0.311. I used Adam’s document as the base and modified it to be Linux specific. Hope you find it useful, too. If there are any errors in it, please let me know.

Disclaimer: I am not a member of the BigFix team.

–Mark

VisualBigFixLinuxUpgrade95.pdf (423.9 KB)

3 Likes

Very nice! Thank you!

Thank you both. @BigFixNinja @mtrain
That’s something really helpful.

Do you have something like this for new installs? I had a prior setup that was done by a different engineer which went belly up and now need to start over (he never supplied the passwords used to setup the license).