View Agent Silent Deploy

Hi, I’m working on building a couple of fixlets to deploy View Agent 8.0 to our environment. I’ve gotten the basic one to work. However, I am having trouble getting additional ones with USB redirection setup and thin printing turned off. The code being used is

wait _Download\VMware-Horizon-Agent-x86_64-2212-8.8.0-21067308.exe /s /v "/qn ADDLOCAL=Core,USB REMOVE=Thinprint

Probably easiest to get the command-line working first under an admin account, and then use ‘createfile until’ to put the install command in a batch file. I suspect the quoting is what will be tricky.

On your command, you’re missing a close quote on the silent install parameters, but I suspect the ADDLOCAL= parameter may also need to be quoted.

Thanks, I did miss the end quote. Unfortunately, it still doesn’t work. I have two different fixlets one using the software distribution wizard and one using the task creator from the Manage Software Distribution. The task creator is what we have used in the past for previous versions. That one does use the createfile batch but still doesn’t work.

Do you actually have this command working from the command line?

Looking at https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2203/published-desktops-applications/GUID-3096DA8B-034B-435B-877E-5D2B18672A95.html, ‘Thinprint’ doesn’t actually seem to be an option

1 Like

it is an option. It is listed as a feature in the registry keys. Previous version installs that work have this feature being removed with no issue.

1 Like

Try enabling MSI package logging and see whether the log helps indicate an error. Inside the ‘/v’ options include
/L*V "C:\windows\temp\install.log" and after the install attempt review the log file.

Strange. I checked back on an install fixlet I created for our VMware team some years ago. The command line is similar, but my requirements were for a simpler set of options.

But, as a starting point for a Bigfix question, does your command run and do as you expect from the command line?

did the logging and I’m getting a 1603 error it looks like.

Checking the page @trn posted, are you sure the feature is ‘ThinPrint’, and not ‘PrintRedir’? You may need to work on your ADDLOCAL and REMOVE parameters.

Thinprint has been a valid component for previous versions. However, I just did a basic install, and it looks like thinprint is no longer included in this new version. I’m trying an install without that now.

1 Like

it was, but I removed the remove line all together and now it won’t even generate a log.