Using wildcard in Search bar inside BES Console

Is there a way to perform a wildcard (*) search from the Search bar inside BES Console under Computers view? I only know that it will find all the matching letters inside the Search bar but it does not do wildcard search.

For example, I have a list of computers with this naming convention as shown below.

Examples:

S0000A01YX
S3848M31YX
S8300G01ZX

Hoping i could use a wildcard search in the Search bar or relevance statement to do “S*X”

• is the wildcard.

My main goal is to create an automatic computer group to group any servers with such naming convention (S*X) as shown above examples.

What would be my relevance statement to accomplish such search?

Please advise.

Thanks.

York

So far, I came up with this relevance

exists computer name whose (it as string as uppercase starts with “S” AND it as string as uppercase ends with “PX” OR it as string as uppercase ends with “PX-H” OR it as string as uppercase ends with “DX”)

It seems to work well but it picks up other computer names which I don’t it should. See below.

hub-lasdjfsdx
hub-kjoehlsdx
hub-kjljasdfljsdx
hub-scbwsdx
ske-app01
SPRYSASQL02
srisora26
SSPYSCVS2

I changed my relevance to

exists computer name whose (it as string as uppercase starts with “S” AND it as string as uppercase ends with “PX” OR it as string as uppercase ends with “PX-H”) OR ( it as string as uppercase ends with “DX”)

Now, these hub* servers are gone which is a good new.

hub-lasdjfsdx
hub-kjoehlsdx
hub-kjljasdfljsdx
hub-scbwsdx

But these servers below are still showing up.

ske-app01
SPRYSASQL02
srisora26
SSPYSCVS2

There’s a difference between a wildcard search in the search bar, and wildcards in client relevance to build an automatic group. The relevance might be a good case for Regular Expressions (which is a handy skill to have in any case, useful in lots of programming languages).

For your first set of hosts, you could use relevance

computer name as uppercase = regex “(^S.*X$)”

That is, the computer name
starts with S ( ^S )
has an unlimited number of other characters ( .* )
ends with X ( X$ )

If you want to match multiple different strings, you can separate them with pipe symbols. I can’t test this now, but I think your second post should match something like

computer name as uppercase= regex “(^S.*X$)|(^S.*PX$)|(^S.*PX-H$)|(^S.*DX$)”

which might simplify to

computer name as lowercase = regex"(^S.*(X|PX|PX\-H|DX))$"

for “Starts with S, has some other characters, and ends with either X or PX or PX-H or DX”

4 Likes

Hi Jason, it’s good to hear from you again. Thank you for your suggestions. The last relevance seems to work quite well for me.

computer name as lowercase = regex"(^S.*(X|PX|PX-H|DX))$"

It comes back with the results which I am expecting. Thank you so much again.

I checked the results this morning and I am no longer seeing these servers listed

hub-lasdjfsdx
hub-kjoehlsdx
hub-kjljasdfljsdx
hub-scbwsdx
ske-app01
SPRYSASQL02
srisora26
SSPYSCVS2

that is a great new.

Hi Jason, one challenge question for you. Can I use DNS Name column information in my relevance statement to perform a wildcard search base on the following condition:

S*PX.prod.york.net

• is the wildcard.

Examples:
S09116A01PX.prod.york.net
S04744A01PX.prod.york.net
S09333A01PX.prod.york.net

S*X.procom.york.net

• is the wildcard.

Examples:
S0000A01PX.procom.york.net
S3848M31PX.procom.york.net
S8300G01DX.procom.york.net

My goal is to only pick up any servers with DNS as shown below.

procom.york.net
prod.york.net

Thanks.

if you mean computers that match your computer name filter and are in those two domains try

dns name as lowercase = regex"(^s.*(x|px|px-h|dx))\.(procom|prod)\.york\.net$"

2 Likes

Thanks Trevor for a quick response and appreciated. Since my dns name entry contains hostname in uppercase and then dns name in all lower case.

I will try this statement below to see if it will work.

dns name = regex"(^S.*(X|PX|PX-H|DX)).(procom|prod).york.net$"

I’m rarely brave enough to assume a particular case anywhere.

Coerce to lowercase first then

dns name as lowercase = regex"(^s.*(x|px|px-h|dx)).(procom|prod).york.net$"

1 Like

Big Thank for Jason and Trevor. You helped me to resolve the issue with your suggestions. Appreciated.