Use BigFix Inventory to collect different file extensions such as jar files

By default BFI collect the following file types below but you can customize this and find for instance .jar files as well. by following the instructions in this link - https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/9.5/inventory/Inventory/planinconf/optimizing_scanned_file_data.html

The following files are defined in the file_names_all.txt to be reported by default:

\.ear$

The following files are defined in the file_names_unix.txt to be reported by default:

\.sh$
\.bin$
\.pl$
\.ear$
\.SH$
\.BIN$
\.PL$
\.EAR$

The following files are defined in the file_names_win.txt to be reported by default:

\.exe$
\.sys$
\.com$
\.ear$
\.ocx$
4 Likes

so to add scanning for JAR files, you would add

\.jar$

to file_names_all.txt on the BFI server?

Yes, but that could end up uploading a lot more data to the BigFix Inventory server. I believe a better approach would be custom signatures specific to log4j*.jar, and I believe the Inventory team is working on producing those.

2 Likes

I agree for this particular case, but this post is not specific to log4j only, more if you want to track all JAR files with Inventory.

This is true, would be a lot more data for the Inventory server to handle.

BigFix Inventory team is working on signatures specific to log4j jar files that will be published to bigfix.me site

4 Likes

Did you add .jar$ to file_names_all.txt and collect it properly through scanning?
I’m trying to scan in the same way as above, but it doesn’t work.