Thanks for the response.
I did collect logs from the 3 clients on which I ran the ad-hoc scans. There was nothing unusual in the logs and they indicated that scan files were generated.
Upon discussions with our team at-large, it was suggested to stop the existing tasks, and recreate them using the latest fixlets which had just been updated in the BF console.
Yesterday, I recreated all tasks using the 220.127.116.11 fixlets and ran an ad-hoc SW scan on the same 3 servers. This morning, looks like the new “Upload Software Scan results” fixlet picked up these 3 servers and uploaded their scans… I confirmed that 2 of the 3 were inported into BFI. As for the 3rd scan, I’ll give it a bit mor etime befor einvestigating further.
The regular scans are scheduled to run Saturdays. Will know next week, if it was just that the fixlet version needed to be “refreshed”.
Will post an update after the weekend.