Upgrading to 9.5.14 from 9.5.130 questions

I’m getting ready to upgrade to 9.5.14 from 9.5.13.130. I should be able to run this from the console correct?

Also, do I need to update the installation folders as well? (before or after or at all??)

Thanks,
Chris

My personal preference has always been to upgrade the Root Servers manually (i.e. not with the upgrade Fixlets), but you certainly can upgrade from the Console. This gives you a lot more visibility into what is going on, and any potential issues.

Updating the Installation folders is not a necessary step, but it can be useful to have the installation binaries for the version of interest available.

Here’s a very brief high-level overview of the general steps I’d recommend:

1. Backup the BigFix databases and site-level credentials
  2. Consider backing up the BigFix Server folder (but this can take a long time)
  3. Download & run the desired Installation Generator version on the Root Server
  4. Use the updated generator files to update:
    a. the Root Server/Web reports
    b. the Console on Root Server (if one is present)
    c. the Client on Root Server
  5. Update WebUI (this can be done via Fixlet)
  6. Update Relays via Fixlet
  7. Update Clients via Fixlet

For production environments, I’d also recommend testing. Though it’s a bit dated, the following is still a useful link for general best practices regarding BigFix upgrades:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli+Endpoint+Manager/page/Upgrading+Best+Practices

1 Like