Upgrading BES client to 9.5.11 from 9.5.3

HI All, I am upgrading the BES client from 9.5.3 to 9.5.11 and have added the patch In the baseline which has current month patches and some old patches. But in some servers I see the error while upgrade patch as follows :-1:
At 05:11:04 -0400 - actionsite (http://ROOTSERVERNAME:52311/cgi-bin/bfgather.exe/actionsite)
Command failed (Action ended while waiting for another process to complete) wait __Local\Upgrade\BESClientUpgrade.exe /s /v"/l*voicewarmup “{location of client}\besclientupgrade.log” REBOOT=ReallySuppress MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL=Disable /qn" (group:19373509,action:19373638)
At 05:11:12 -0400 -
Client shutdown (Service manager stop request)

We have included the upgrade patch in the end of the baseline and after upgrade we need to have the client rebooted within patching change window. But because of the error message mentioned above we see few of the machines have missed the reboot window. Would there be something suggested here that I could investigate?

I would not think it a good idea to include the upgrade in a patch baseline - the upgrade stops the client, upgrades it and then restarts - which doesn’t fit well with a patch baseline.

Note - the upgrade doesn’t need a reboot.

I am upgrading the client at the end, I mean I have included that in the end of the baseline, so patches will install and then the upgrade will happen, because few patches require the restart so I am rebooting the endpoint at the end after the BES client is upgraded.

But have you considered whether your deliberate stopping of the Bigfix client is causing the reboot to not happen, because that is what you say isn’t happening?

What is the version of your BigFix Server and Relay ?

Have you tried to upgrade the client manually or by independent fixlet (not the part of baseline)?

Error looks like BESClient process is busy with some other process to be executed.

What you are seeing is not really an error. During the install of the BES agent, it stops and then restarts the agent, but the action that is running gets terminated because the agent shutdown and started a new session.

I would highly recommend against patching and updating the BES agent mainly because you are making multiple changes and if there are issues on the system, you will not know if it is because of a OS patch of upgrading the BES agent. As someone mentioned in this thread, the agent upgrade does not require a reboot, so on any system, you can upgrade without issues. Of course you would still follow proper change management processes :wink:

One thing I would do before upgrading your agents is check to see what open actions are running. I did have one instance a while back where there was an open reboot action that for some reason caused some of my servers to reboot when it was not expected.

1 Like

Client version is 9.5.3 and relays are at 9.5.10 and that the reason we are upgrading the clients. I did check the logs but not able to get processes running through BES client at the same time. Would there be something more I can check?

It doesn’t look like there is a problem?

The description on the client upgrade fixlet shows that it will, for a time,.appear to be Failed (because the client has to be shut down to process the upgrade).

But on first-time startup under the new client there can be a delay. So if you have a short maintenance window you should run the client upgrade separate from your baseline, and upgrade the client at the end of your window (after your reboot).

1 Like