Updates for Oracle JRE alternatives?

Is anyone managing updating Java JRE’s which are non-Oracle versions, on Windows?

I know i am a few years behind, but i am now looking at trying to get our Oracle JREs migrated to another more ‘open’ version primarily to keep them supported and less vulnerable.

The more I read about replacements for Oracle Java, the more it is validate, validate, validate.

I would like to go the route of what others using Bigfix have taken, with the hopes that someday Bigfix would package the updates, so i would not have to for the foreseeable future.

Experiences?

(I apologize if this is really not the correct forum, however I am hoping to stay along with what is currently supported or future support for Bigfix updates)

@mesee2, while I haven’t done this on Windows OSes, I have successfully deployed OpenJDK to my Linux endpoints. They do appear to have packages for Windows endpoints, but obviously selection of the correct version and associated testing would be prudent.

I’ve deployed AdoptOpenJDK for Windows, and it’s been very straightforward (much more so that Oracle’s JRE).
I believe we have an Idea entry for it that you could vote, but in the meantime I think the Software Deployment Wizard should work well for it. It’s an MSI package which usually work well with the SWD wizards.

1 Like

I’ve voted up your Add AdoptOpenJDK J9 to patching idea/RFE.

1 Like