So an update, Support and I have been busy during the day to find out what is going on.
We found that it seems to be related to the Unmanaged asset scan, but rather to do with the Bigfix upload process, something is going wrong with that process
We ran Client diagnostics on one machine and uploaded it to the root server, the file arrives in sha1 but never as a readable file or a folder.
The same happens to the scan results, they get uploaded to the folder but in sha1 format and not in the folder with the index files and so forth.
this is from support:
the BigFix server behaviour when uploading files is the same when deploying the Client Diagnostics task.
The reported problem looks not related to Asset Discovery but to the BigFix uploads process.
We enabled the BESRelay verbose logging on the root server and tried an upload. The Post file uploaded the sha1 file with no error, but into the BufferDir\sha1 folder, the file is still named as “sha1” value.
We reproduced the problem while running procmon and saved .pml file
I have just received the created logs.
I will update you by tomorrow with my findings.’