Uninstall Torrent software

Good Day Team

Please advise can i an expert please assist , torrent software is becoming a pain to my life and my endpoints --i have weekly issues with them and require help create a fixlet to uninstall them so far the popular ones are bitorrent & utorrent and they both have very sneaky ways of hiding uninstall functions is it possible to get help to remove these applications from bigfix?

If you can describe how to detect and the command lines involved in removing the software, we can help show you how to port those detections and commands into Bigfix.

There are 2 ways that I know you can do it.

1. where you give the name of the application
    waithidden "{pathname of system folder}\MSIExec.exe" /x {name of key whose (value "DisplayName" of it as string as lowercase starts with "7-zip") of key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" of x64 registry} /qn

2. where you give the Key name of the exact application, but I think depending on versions the key changes.
    waithidden "{pathname of system folder}\MSIExec.exe" /x {{97122258-F323-472A-B62A-9236FD0E6678}} /qn

as Jason Said, if you have a PS or bat already doing it we can help you come up with something.

hey guys

thank you right now i am doing it manually.
the system properties do not show uninstall variables all i have is

C:\Users(user name here)\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent\BitTorrent.exe
C:\users(user name here)appdata\roaming\utorrent web\utweb.exe

these apps are sneaky its hard to detect them , the bigfix installed software report detects these software

I’m pretty sure µTorrent Web is a browser plugin, not a thick client of yore.

This certainly seems to confirm my suspicion:

Since BitTorrent Inc owns µTorrent, and since the data resides in AppData, I wouldn’t be surprised if this is true for BitTorrent.exe either…

Your best bet is blocking those applications at the OS level, since there is literally nothing to “uninstall” other than deleting the executable.

Alternatively, you’ll have to figure out how to blacklist certain plugins across the various browsers used in your environment.

1 Like

Here’s a quick-and-dirty cut, please test with care.

Relevance:
(windows of operating system) AND (exists files ("AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent\BitTorrent.exe";"appdata\roaming\utorrent web\utweb.exe") of folders of folders "C:\Users")

Actionscript:

delete __appendfile

appendfile {("rd /s /q %22" & pathname of parent folder of it & "%22") of files ("AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent\BitTorrent.exe";"appdata\roaming\utorrent web\utweb.exe") of folders of folders "C:\Users"}

delete RemoveTorrent.cmd

move __appendfile RemoveTorrent.cmd

waithidden cmd.exe /c RemoveTorrent.cmd
2 Likes

works like a dream , using it on a ADHOC basis