Uninstall AIM

(imported topic written by ckchapman91)

I need a little help with the uninstall of AIM here is what I have so far:

The relevance comes out to be true the problem exists with the action

exists key “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AIM_7” of registry

Action:

Dos taskkill /im aim.exe /T /f

wait {preceding text of first " " of (value “UninstallString” of keys “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AIM_7” of registry as string) & " /s /a " & following text of first " " of (value “UninstallString” of keys “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AIM_7” of registry as string)}

It will shut down AIM but it wont uninstall any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Give this a try:

waithidden taskkill /im aim.exe /T /f

waithidden “{pathname of system folder & “\msiexec.exe”}” /x{{9DD78247-E019-4C32-8D12-0BD1D550ED41} /qn /norestart

I got that string off of App Deploy-- it may or may not be the string you need, so check your registry. Notice how there are two curly brackets starting off there…that is escaping the relevance. I suspect what might be happening to you is that when you grab the string, it is putting in there and being confused by the curly brackets. Someone from BigFix might be able to answer that for sure though.

FYI, I recommend not using the “dos” command because it makes a window pop up. The only time you might want to use it is if you are using an internal dos command like “copy” or “delete”, but even then I typically use “waithidden” and just call “cmd /c” with it first.

Good luck.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Note: our “SANS Top 10 Vulnerabilities for Windows” Fixlet site has Fixlets to uninstall common IMs like Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, AIM, etc.

Ben

(imported comment written by ckchapman91)

Thanks for replying Ben.

I do not have that fixlet site. If you know of anywhere else I could find this imformation could you please send a link, it would be greatly appreciated. I have been scratching my head for a week on this. The same string works for the uninstall of Yahoo Messenger but for some reason it wont work with AIM. I thought by replacing the registry root it would work but it does’nt. Thanks for the help.

ckchapman

(imported comment written by scott_coleman91)

I am trying to uninstall aim 7 as well. Has anyone created a fixlet to accomplish this? I notices their was a fixlet in the “SANS Top 10 Vulnerabilities for Windows” site but it was for AIM 6. I tried to just use that with some alterations but can’t seem to get it to work.