Unexpected behavior of BigFix Server

Hi BigFix masters,

I have met an unexpected and unique error on BigFix root server, where i am not able to login into the BigFix Console and i am getting HTTP Error 7: Couldn’t connect to server: Failed to connect to port 52311: Connection refused error.

1. I am not able to self telnet my BigFix root server on port 52311, we tried to telnet via hostname, IP and localhost.

2. I am able to ping my BigFix server with success.

3. I am able to telnet my relay server on port 52311

4. Sometimes i am able to login into my BigFix console on the remote system but i am not able to log in into the console of BigFix root server console.

5. On server I am not able to open my BigFix relay diagnostic web page

6. The bigfix diagnostic tool takes time to open, and there is a cross mark on BES server plugin services entry.

7. From Past few days we are not able to log in into the BigFix console from the remote system.

Our whole operations have got affected, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Regards,
KK

Seems like a firewall configuration issue. Are you on Windows? If yes, has the network changed from private/domain to public (more restrictive)? Look in network & sharing on the BigFix Root server.

Hi @itsmpro92 we have involved our network team where they ahev confirmed that there is no firewall between the database and BigFix application server. and also no network changes have been made so far recently.

Basically we have migrated our database server from physical server to a virtual server. Since that time we are facing this issue.

You should open a support case with HCL. This is not what I would expect from migrating the database to a VM. Keep us posted on the solution in any case.

Hi @itsmpro92 We have opened a support case and its been already 4 months and so far we have not received any kind of solution.

Hope we get the solution soon. Thanks for the reply .

Regards,

KK

So you did a physical-to-virtual migration somewhere in there?

Did your IP address change? Check the HOSTS file on the server, see if it is trying to send its own name to the old address or something like that.
How about some log snippets? Besrelay.log is probably most useful.

Is Windows Firewall on?

Hi @JasonWalker The IP address have not changed, we have kept the same IP address. We checked the host file its perfectly fine. Strangely we are able to see that when we are pinging the local host instead of IPV4 we are able to see that the reply coming from IPV6.
In the relay logs we are able to see database connection issue, but we have checked with the DB team and they have said that there is no connection issue. We are able to telnet the database server from the BigFix application server.

Regards,
KK

Please attach a relevant snippet of the database error from the log.

Install SQL Management Studio on the server and use it to try to connect to the database.

Hey Guys,

We have found the culprit, it was the AV which was creating the issue. Recently the AV team upgraded the AV agent on the server and we were not informed. So we have asked the AV team to get into the picture and check the exclusion.

So far the AV is disabled on the root server and now we are able to successfully login into the BigFix console and self telnet the server too.

Thanks for the comments
Regards,
KK