Unable to uninstall SEP

Hi all I am using the following fixlet.

Whenever it runs it fails with : Command failed (Relevance substitution failed) waithidden MsiExec.exe /X{A5DCF955-5D4A-471D-8CB3-DCFDF5C5DEE7} /quiet /norestart (action:253407)

The action is as follows with Bigfix asking me for the name of the program to be removed. I enter “Symantec Endpoint Protection”

action parameter query “Name” with description “Please enter the Program Name”

waithidden “{pathname of system folder & “\msiexec.exe”}” /QN REBOOT=ReallySuppress /X{name of key whose (value “DisplayName” of it =(parameter “Name” of action) and name of it starts with “{”) of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall” of registry}

Any help is appreciated.

Leo.

When we were removing Symantec Endpoint Protection and moved to another product, we used Symantec’s SEPprep, which is their competition removal tool. The nice thing about it is it also removes Symantec products.

I created a fixlet that looked for “sepMasterService” for relevance, then ran SEPprep64.exe on those systems.

Hi Leo,

I haven’t tested your action script but at minimum, you’re going to need to escape the left curly brace with another curly brace:

REBOOT=ReallySuppress /X {{name of key

Yeah, that was my first thought too, but the curly bracket we think he needs to escape is a result of the relevance substitution, so I don’t think it should be escaped; or at least I don’t know how he would escape it.

This may be a bug on the waithidden command. Try writing the result out to a text file instead and executing it as a batch -

action uses wow64 redirection false
delete __appendfile
appendfile "{pathname of system folder & "\msiexec.exe"}" /QN REBOOT=ReallySuppress /X{name of key whose (value "DisplayName" of it =(parameter "Name" of action) and name of it starts with "{") of key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" of registry}
delete Uninstall.cmd
move __appendfile Uninstall.cmd
waithidden cmd.exe /c Uninstall.cmd